Diversity is Valued at Chemeketa
Chemeketa is the college for our whole community. All of us have an opportunity to learn here, thrive here and make a difference because of how our experience here has helped us grow.
We are a college community enriched by the diversity of our students, staff, and community members. Each individual and group has the potential to contribute in our learning environment. Each has dignity. To diminish the dignity of one is to diminish the dignity of us all.
A Message From Our President
Chemeketa Community College is a rich community that values diversity of perspectives, identities, cultures, experiences and backgrounds. We believe such diversity is essential for hardy dialogue and learning. It is our hope that members of the college and broader community will use this website as a tool to deepen their own education, as well as learn how Chemeketa realizes its commitment to diversity.
Together, we all contribute to the texture and experience that we call Chemeketa.
"HOLD FAST TO DREAMS" STUDENT ESSAY CONTEST - JAN.8-MARCH 31, 2018
Why are you going to college? What do you hope to achieve? What have you overcome to go to college? What gives you hope and courage for the future? Everyone has a story—tell us yours for the chance to win a cash prize from the “Hold Fast to Dreams” essay contest presented by Chemeketa Reads.
- Essay contest is open to all current Chemeketa students
- Students must submit an essay that responds to the above prompt
- Only one entry per student
- All writing materials must be exclusively student-created
- Entries become the property of the Chemeketa Reads project and may be used at events and in publicity materials
- Essay must be no more than 500 words
- Entries must be submitted by March 31, 2018 to Linda Herrera
- Winners will be notified by May 23, 2018
Monetary awards are as follows –
- First place - $500
- Second place - $300
- Third place - $200
We encourage all students to visit the Study Skills Center located in Salem Bldg. 2, Rm. 212-A and attend one of the writing workshops that will be offered on –
- Tues, Feb 6, 12-1 pm, (CRN 62630)
- Wed, Feb 7, 8-9 am, (CRN 62631)
The tutoring center, writing center and online writing center are all available to assist students with drafting their essay.
Chemeketa Reads is a collaborative project between the Reading and Writing programs and the Diversity and Equity Office.