Free Speech Guidelines
Free Speech Guidelines & Form
Chemeketa Community College recognizes and supports the rights of free expression and speech. It is the purpose of these guidelines to inform members of the College community and the public of the manner in which they may engage in constitutionally protected speech and expression at Chemeketa Community College.
These individuals or groups include, but are not limited to, those that represent religious organizations, groups desiring petition signatures, political candidates and their representatives, and groups representing political issues. It is the intent of these guidelines to ensure the primary educational purpose of the College while promoting debate, the sharing of information, and protecting free speech rights.
Free Speech Disclaimer
All information and ideas expressed by the individual or organization using the Chemeketa Community College Free Speech areas are that of the individual or organization and do not represent the views of Chemeketa Community College.
- "Person" means any member of the public or the College community.
- "Public" means any individual or group not included in the definition of "College Community."
- "Speech Activity" means leafleting, picketing, speech-making, demonstration, petition circulation, and similar activities.
- "College" means Chemeketa Community College.
- "College Community" means all students and employees of the College including student and employee sponsored organizations.
- "User" means an applicant applying for use of a College facility for a free speech event or someone using College facilities for a free speech event.
- The indoor Free Speech area is a designated space at the base of the stairs in the lobby of Building 2, and shall be large enough to accommodate one six foot table and two chairs. Users shall contain their presentation and materials to this area only. Additional space may be allowed as space permits.
- The outdoor Free Speech areas are located in the Old Quad between buildings 2 and 3 or the New Quad located in the center area circled by buildings 1, 2, 3, 8 and 9.
Yamhill Valley Campus:
- The indoor Free Speech area is a designated space in the lobby of Building 1, and shall be large enough to accommodate one six foot table and two chairs. Users shall contain their presentation and materials to this area only. Additional space may be allowed as space permits.
- The Outdoor Free Speech area is located in the Student Circle adjacent to Building 1.
- Each College Outreach Center shall designate Free Speech areas appropriate for its facility.
- Users shall contain their presentation and materials to the designated Free Speech areas.
- Users shall not impede individuals or pedestrian traffic flow or disrupt the regular or authorized activities in classrooms, offices and other college facilities.
- Users shall not impede the progress of passersby, nor shall they force passersby to take materials.
- Users shall not touch, strike, or impede the progress of passersby, except for incidental or accidental contact, or contact initiated by a passerby.
- User’s speech activities shall be conducted at a volume which does not disrupt the orderly conduct of college business, other campus activities, or classes taking place at that time.
- No means of amplification that creates a noise or diversion that disturbs the orderly conduct of college business, other campus activities, or classes taking place at that time shall be used.
- Users shall not solicit donations of money, through direct requests for funds, sales of tickets, or otherwise, except where he or she is using the designated area(s) on behalf of and collecting funds for an organization that is registered with the Secretary of State as a nonprofit corporation or is an approved Associated Students organization or club.
- Normal hours of presentation for the Free Speech areas shall be from 8:30 AM to 4 PM on days the College is open for business.
- In regard to indoor Free Speech areas users shall be guaranteed only two dates within any given academic term. Any additional dates are subject to availability and may be scheduled if the indoor Free Speech area has not already been reserved.
- Indoor Free Speech areas can be reserved up to 6 weeks in advance. This 6 week scheduling period ensures that no single user can reserve so many dates that they exclude other users from the opportunity to use the indoor free speech area.
- Indoor Free Speech areas: Approaching individuals of the public or the college community is not permitted.
- Outdoor Free Speech areas: In the event of a counter advocate group wishing to be heard in the same area, the two groups shall remain a minimum of 30 feet away from each other.
- Users shall be allowed to distribute petitions, circulars, leaflets, newspapers, and other printed matter. Such distribution shall take place only within the designated area(s). Materials must be distributed by the user, not left on tables around campus(es).
- Banners and/or table signs are welcomed, but shall only be displayed on the table provided by the College.
- Chemeketa shall display a sign containing the following: “Chemeketa Community College neither sponsors nor endorses the content or opinions expressed.”
- Users shall not hang, tape, stand, or place signs or other objects that may obstruct vision, signage, or walkways, or that may damage College premises without College written permission.
- Hand held signs or free standing signs are permitted. Any and all signs must be removed at the end of the free speech activity. Nothing shall be attached to a College building or pounded into the ground on College property.
- Material distributed in the designated area(s) that is discarded or dropped in or around the designated area(s) other than in an appropriate receptacle must be retrieved and removed or properly discarded by those persons distributing the material prior to their departure from the designated area(s) that day.
- Failure to comply with the terms and conditions outlined in these Guidelines may jeopardize future access to College property for Free Speech activity.
- Individuals and groups who wish to use the college’s indoor Free Speech area shall work with the Office of Student Retention and College Life to schedule date and time.
- Individuals and groups who wish to use the college’s outdoor Free Speech area are encouraged to give their name and contact information to the Chemeketa Public Safety office and the Office of Student Retention and College Life in building 2.
Yamhill Valley Campus:
- Individuals and groups who wish to use the college’s indoor Free Speech area shall work with the front desk staff in building 1 to schedule usage of the free speech area.
- Individuals and groups who wish to use the college’s outdoor Free Speech area are encouraged to give their name and contact information to the College Public Safety office in building 1.
- Persons desiring to use the Free Speech areas on any of Chemeketa’s outreach centers shall contact the appropriate outreach center Director/Dean’s office.
- The user understands that the use of the college facility is at his/her sole risk and agrees that Chemeketa Community College shall not be liable for any injuries or damages, claims demands, lawsuits, or causes of action (including attorney fees and other expenses thereto) whatsoever to the user, for property damage, bodily injury, and/or death whether or not caused by negligence, arising out of or connected with the user’s use of the Free Speech areas.
- The college shall not be responsible for any loss or theft of the user’s personal property.
Adam Holden, MA
Civic Engagement Coordinator
Chemeketa Community College