Teaching and Learning Values
The Teaching and Learning Values are listed below with examples of actions that demonstrate the presence of each value. They are a shared responsibility at the college and will be considered in decision and policy-making arenas. We will encourage and promote these values in college programs, courses, services and activities.
We are a college that . . .
Creates a learning climate of mutual respect and fairness.
- Creates open and equal interactions
- Encourages and seeks to understand varying points of view and learning differences
- Models and applies standards and expectations equitably
- Models inclusion.
Encourages creative and critical thinking.
- Creates low-risk learning environments
- Supports the identification of problems and the creation of solutions
- Uses questioning strategies that encourage creative and critical thinking
- Encourages the expression of underlying thinking
- Incorporates problem-solving processes
- Incorporates approaches that encourage multiple styles of thinking
Actively engages individuals in the learning process.
- Uses hands-on, real life applications
- Uses structured, purposeful small group activities
- Involves participants in planning activities and leading discussions
- Uses a menu of approaches and activities for a variety of learning styles
- Provides opportunities for feedback and evaluation
- Models use of technology as a communication and learning tool
Facilitates learning that applies to and enriches lives.
- Makes connections from theory to real life applications
- Uses current and real life experiences and activities
- Solicits learning illustrations and applications
- Encourages the application of learning
- Incorporates student life experiences
Clarifies expectations and encourages student responsibility for learning.
- Clarifies expectations and outcomes in a variety of ways
- Sets high expectations
- Holds individuals accountable
- Models responsible behavior
- Gives clear directions and instructions
- Gives frequent, timely feedback
- Models diversity, honesty and fairness in interactions
Promotes learning as a lifelong process.
- Models lifelong learning
- Shows enthusiasm and joy for learning and teaching
- Provides avenues and encouragement for future learning
- Considers long-term as well as short-term goals
- Shares personal learning experiences and new developments in the field
- Connects with partners in the workplace and in the community