Common Graduation and Commencement Questions

Applying to Graduate

What is a catalog year? How do I determine which catalog year to use?

A catalog year is the degree requirements determined the year you started your program. For example, if you began a program in Fall 2016 then you will use the degree requirements listed in your program’s 2016-2017 catalog.

Am I allowed to change my catalog year?

Catalog year changes can be made, but you must have taken classes within the catalog year you would like to use. If your studies have been interrupted by 2 years or more, or if you course of study extends beyond 5 years then graduation requirements may have changed and you will need to complete additional requirements.

How do I change my catalog year?

In order to change your catalog year you will need to complete a Change of Major And/Or Graduation Catalog form and submit it to–

Enrollment Services
Building 2, Room 200 (Salem campus)


If I completed requirements in an earlier term, can I still walk in the ceremony?

Yes, if you have completed the requirements in the current school year you are invited to participate.

If I’m not graduating until this summer can I still participate in the ceremony?

Yes, if you have a pending graduation application for this summer you may participate in this year’s commencement ceremony.

What academic honors will be recognized at the ceremony?

Chemeketa Scholars, 4.0 students and Phi Theta Kappa graduates.

What program do I line up with if I am receiving multiple degrees or certificates?

When you fill out your participation card at the cap and gown distribution events in June you will need to specify which degree or certificate program you would like to walk with at the ceremony.

Where can I find more information on Commencement?

If you applied for graduation before February you should receive more information in the mail. This information is also available in your My Chemeketa account under Graduation in the Services tab.

I missed the deadline to order regalia and sign up for Commencement. Is it too late to participate?

Anyone who has not purchased regalia and filled out a walking card will not be able to participate in this year’s Commencement Ceremony. If you miss this year’s deadline you are welcome to participate in next year’s Commencement Ceremony.

Can I still submit an application to graduate if I missed the deadline for Commencement?

You can submit an Application for Degree or Certificate at any time.

Diplomas and Transcripts

What size is my diploma?

If you are a graduate of a college degree or certificate program the dimensions are 8x6. If you are a graduate of our HEP, GED or High School Programs the dimensions are 8 ½ x 11.

When are hold for degree transcripts processed?

Hold for degree transcripts should be ordered during the term you are completing your degree requirements. Transcripts should NOT be ordered as hold for degree after final grades have been posted, but as regular official transcript orders. Graduation Services processes hold for degree transcripts the week after final grades have been posted. Any ordered after will be processed the following term.

How do I get my GED transcripts or certificates?

You will need to contact–

Oregon GED Program
255 Capitol St note
Salem, OR 97310-0203
Phone: 503.947.2442

Contact Us:

Graduation Services
Bldg. 2, Rm. 200, Window 13 (Salem Campus)
Phone: 503.399.6588