What is section 504?
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 states that –
No otherwise qualified handicapped individual in the United States...shall, solely by reason of...handicap, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.
What is the ADA?
The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) includes basic civil rights guarantees for people who have disabilities in the United States. With regard to colleges and college students, ADA upholds and extends the standards set forth in Section 504. Chemeketa Community College is an institution under Title II of the ADA.
What does this mean?
Students who have disabilities, and who meet the requisite academic and technical standards required for admission or participation in Chemeketa Community College's programs and activities, cannot be denied access. They may request accommodations or adjustments.
The College must –
- Establish steps and procedures for students to make their needs known
- Determine eligibility
- Respond to requests
- Provide reasonable accommodations and adjustments
- Establish a grievance procedure to address disagreements
What is reasonable?
If the accommodation meets the following factors -
- Effective in creating access for the individual
- Does not alter the nature of the program or activity
- Does not distract from the educational process
- Does not impose undue financial hardship to the institution
Building 2, Room 174