Frequently Asked Questions


How do I receive my accommodations each term?

How do I make an appointment to take a test?

Who needs documentation of a disability?

Any student who needs accommodations because of a condition that places substantial limitations on his/her functioning in an academic setting.

When must this documentation be provided?

Documentation must be provided to the Disability Services office two weeks before the student can receive services.

Where is this documentation kept?

Documentation is kept in a separate confidential file within the Disability Services office and is not part of the student's academic record.

This office follows the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Standards.

Why does Chemeketa need documentation of disability?

To determine eligibility and effective accommodations for each student.

To meet funding sources requirements.



What do I need to do when I receive a Letter of Accommodation (LOA)?

Each LOA lists the accommodations that have been approved for the specific student based upon the individuals accessibility needs. Some of the accommodations require no action on your part such as accessible furniture, recording devices, or use of laptop for notes. Other accommodations may require more interaction. For example a FM Loop may require a faculty member to wear a lapel mic to ensure effective communication. Each accommodation has an active link that provides additional information about the specific accommodation. All accommodations should be implemented as outlined.

We are here to help— if you have any questions or concerns regarding the accommodations please contact the Disability Services office (DS) at your earliest opportunity.

I received an LOA and have a few questions/concerns. What is the best way to contact the Disability Services office (DS)?

For your convenience there are several ways to contact our office. A member of our staff will contact you within two business days. Simply choose the method that is easiest for you.

  • Contact the Accommodation Specialist directly via the phone or e-mail listed on the LOA
  • Faculty may also click on the Accommodation Contact Request Form embedded in the LOA then complete and submit
  • Phone the main desk at extension 5192
  • Visit us on the Salem campus in Bldg. 2, Rm. 174

A student disclosed a disability to me and has asked for accommodations. I have not received a LOA. What are the next steps?

If you have not received a LOA, this is most probably because the student has not yet applied for services through our office. Please encourage the student to come to Disability Services and we will be happy to assist the student and explain the process. Alternatively, the student can apply online.

If the student reports that he/she has requested accommodations through our office, it may be that there is a step in the process that has not been completed. Again, please encourage the student to contact our office so that we can better understand the situation and assist the student.

The academic term is almost over and I received a new LOA. Why am I just getting notice of this now?

There are several reasons why this may occur at any time during the term–

  • Students may apply for DS at any time in a term.
  • Sometimes a student who is eligible for an accommodations does not think that he/she will need it. However, later in the term, the student realizes that the accommodation would be beneficial and requests that a new LOA be sent to the instructor.
  • Disability Services receives new documentation of disability. Based on this information, the student is eligible for a new accommodation(s).

I have stated in my syllabus that due to confidentially concerns, no recording devices are allowed in my course. Do I have to allow a recorder if it is listed on the LOA?

Yes. Both federal and state law have provisions for the use of recording devices in an academic setting. Audio recording is a commonly recognized and authorized accommodation in academic settings.

  • Oregon law specifically exempts recording of "regularly scheduled classes or similar educational activities in public or private institutions" from various restrictions set forth in ORS § 165.540 (2013).
  • Students with disabilities have the right to reasonable accommodations under federal law including recording as outlined under Federal Regulations §34CFR104.44 (b).
  • Restrictions of use are outlined and reviewed with students prior to the approval of the accommodations. Restrictions of use prohibit sharing, posting, or selling of the audio recording.
  • All students are required to comply with the Student Rights and Responsibilities Code of Behavior. Violations of use of audio recording will be processed through the established college disciplinary policies.

Should I evaluate students with disabilities any differently that I do the rest of the class?

All students are required to meet the course objectives. Some students with disabilities may demonstrate knowledge and mastery of academic materials through alternative processes. For example, a student may require frequent breaks during testing extending the time needed to complete the exam. However, the student is responsible for answering the same questions as all students.

The students LOA states that they have been approve for accessible furniture as an accommodation. What is my role in provide this accommodation?

The instructor has a very limited role in providing this accommodation. The DS office will place accessible furniture in the classroom for the use of approved student. This furniture will be clearly labeled with a placard that indicates it should not be removed from its current location. To ensure that this furniture is available for the student who is requesting it, we ask that the furniture not be removed from the classroom. We also ask that if accessible furniture that has been placed in a classroom is removed unexpectedly, that you please notify our office as soon as possible so the furniture can be replaced. Additionally, if you are approached by a student in your class who needs accessible furniture and they have not provided you with an LOA for the current term, please refer them to the DS office to make a formal accommodation request.

I have a student whose accommodation includes a laptop computer. I don’t allow students to use laptops in the class. Why is the student using a laptop?

A laptop may be an approved accommodation for access. For example students who use speech-to text services for communication access will be receiving this accommodation via a laptop. Or students may need to access materials via a laptop to enable enlarged print or other print related need.

The student has been approved for Typewell or CART services. What does this mean?

Typewell and CART are speech-to-text services that provide communication access to students that have been approved for this accommodation.

A transcriber or captionist provides a real time transcript of the class lecture, discussion and comments. The student accesses the transcript via a laptop or tablet.

Occasionally the transcriber/captionist will be in the classroom providing this service. Most often, the service is provided remotely which necessitates the instructor using or wearing a provided microphone. It is important to make sure the microphone is placed where the remote transcriber can hear the communication. It may also be necessary for the instructor wearing the microphone to repeat comments or questions from others in the classroom to insure that the student using the accommodation will be included and able participate in class discussions.

When possible, please provide copies of power points, overheads, handouts and other visual aids in advance. A student cannot simultaneously read a transcript and view the material you reference in class.

A student has asked me to wear a microphone or has a microphone placed near me. What is this used for?

The student may be using an assistive listening device (ALD) or a speech-to-text service such as Typewell or CART. Both of these accommodations provide communication access to the student.

In both cases, it is important to make sure the microphone is placed where the student using an ALD, or the remote transcriber, can hear the communication. It may also be necessary for the instructor wearing the microphone to repeat comments or questions from others in the classroom to ensure that the student using the accommodation will be included and able to participate in class discussions.

I have a deaf student and interpreters in my class. What are some things that would be helpful to consider?

An interpreter is a trained professional who facilitates communication and interaction among those who use a spoken language and a signed language and is provided by the college.

Helpful things to consider:

  • The interpreter needs to sit or stand where the student can see the instructor, the interpreter and any visual material.
  • Expect a “lag time” between spoken and signed messages and allow time for the interpretation and response.
  • Due to the length of the class or complexity of the content, there may be a team of two interpreters who will switch with each other after 15-30 minutes. There is no need to stop lecturing during a switch. The interpreters work in conjunction with each other to make sure no content is missed.
  • Maintain eye contact and speak directly to the student and speak at a normal pace. The interpreter will interpret all spoken and signed communication, as well any environmental noises and information.
  • If you have questions or comments or concerns regarding a student’s grades, homework or questions of a personal nature, please direct those to the student. If you have other concerns, you can contact the student’s Accommodation Specialist (listed on the Letter of Accommodation). These types of questions would not be appropriate to direct to the interpreter.
  • If you have questions regarding the interpreting process, how a particular lesson might be accommodated using interpreters, etc., please do ask the interpreter. He or she, along with the student, may have some insight or experience that will help.
  • When possible, please provide interpreter access, in advance, to syllabus, handouts, power points, vocabulary, course calendar, or any other information you think may the interpreter prepare for the class.
  • A student cannot simultaneously watch an interpreter, the instructor and view materials you reference in class. Taking notes may also be difficult. When possible, please provide copies of power points, overheads, handouts and other visual aids in advance. When passing out written material in class, allow time for the student to read before commenting so that the student is aware of the content and can participate fully. The student might also request a volunteer note taker in the class and will provide NCR note taking paper.

Be sure that all videos are captioned and that all audio recordings are transcribed. If you need assistance with this, please contact Disability Services.


Do I have to complete and submit a testing contract?

Yes, if you use tests/quizzes as a way of assessing your students. A completed contract provides us with your instructions for proctoring the test/quiz. Additionally you will receive a reminder to submit your exam and the option to upload electronically.

I teach an online class. Do I need to complete a testing contract?

Yes, if any of the tests/quizzes will be completed off-line. For example, if mid-terms and finals are done on a campus then a testing contract must be completed.

When can students schedule their test?

Students are strongly encouraged to schedule tests/quizzes through the AIM database system at least 2 business days in advance of regular tests/quizzes throughout the term and 5 business days in advance for mid-terms and finals. Students attempting to schedule with less than the minimum advance notice must contact the DS office directly. Every attempt will be made to accommodate the student. However, due to the limited testing space and availability of proctors, tests/quizzes may be scheduled outside of the requested time frame.

Regular testing hours are Monday-Friday 9 am-5 pm students enrolled in evening or weekend classes must contact the DS office to discuss possible alternative arrangements.

What happens to my exam after the student completes it?

After a student completes a test we scan it, and e-mail it to the instructor, if they have chosen that option on the contract, or we file it in our testing cabinet until it is picked up. All tests/quizzes are scanned and locked in a secure area because there have been times when an issue has come up after the test has been delivered to the instructor. All testing materials are shredded at the end of each term.

How do I accommodate a “pop” quiz?

There are many different approaches to meet the required accommodations. As each situation may vary please contact the DS to begin the interactive process.

If all students have a week to complete an exam, do I still have to provide additional time?

If test access is unrestricted within the one-week window, then typically additional testing time need not be applied. On the other hand, if the test is timed within the one-week window, then the length of the time should be extended by the multiplier (e.g., 1.5X, 2.0X) listed in the LOA. For additional questions or further discussion please contact the DS office.

What is the difference between class notes and a memory aid?

Class notes are not an accommodation. Class notes consist of information that the faculty member has approved for all students in a class to use on a test/quiz. A Memory Aid is an accommodation which students with a documented disability(s) that significantly impacts memory function may be eligible for.

A Memory Aid may contain acronyms, pictures, charts, definitions, or mind maps. A Memory Aid will not be useful to the student unless the student knows and understands how to use the information it refers to. A student must met with the instructor regarding the content. The instructor can make requirements regarding the size/font/number of pages.

Please note that the memory aid must be delivered with the test and include the instructor’s signature.

What are the testing procedures at the Yamhill Valley campus?

YVC Testing Center administers Chemeketa online course exams, makeup exams and testing for students with testing accommodations. In addition they provide placement testing and numerous tests for other colleges and non-Chemeketa organizations.

Instructor responsibilities for proctored exams

  1. Fill out an Instructor Test Request form to ensure that the test is proctored to your expectations. Forms are located in the YVC Testing Center (Bldg. 1, Rm. 203) and it’s mailbox in the first floor staff area.

    Include any disability accommodations a student might have on the form.
  2. Deliver the Instructor Test Request form with the exam or proctoring details before the student’s scheduled appointment using one of the following methods—
    • Hand-deliver to the YVC Testing Center during business hours. (Do not leave the exam unattended in the center during closures.)
    • Place in the YVC Testing Center’s mailbox
    • E-mail exam and form (Do not send e-mail directly to one proctor. Use the e-mail address above so all proctors may access the exam.)

Student responsibilities for proctored exams

  1. Students must schedule exam appointment with YVC Testing Center during business hours. All proctored exams require an appointment. (Disability accommodations need at least two business days for adequate time for staff to prepare.)
  2. Students should communicate with their instructor regarding scheduled exam date and time to ensure the exam will be at the YVC Testing Center before the student arrives for the appointment.

What are the testing procedures at the Polk center?

Please contact the Polk Center at 503.623.5567 for specific information on Polk Center testing procedures.

Contact Us

Salem Campus
Building 2, Room 174
Chemeketa Community College
P.O. Box 14007 Salem, OR 97309
Phone: 503.399.5192
Fax: 503.399.6178
E-mail Disability Services