Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to get a degree from Chemeketa in order to transfer to a four-year school or can I take classes and then transfer when it fits into my plan?

Obtaining an Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer Degree (AAOT) or an Associate of Science Oregon Transfer Degree in Business (ASOT/Business) provides you with the smoothest transfer experience.

These degrees are accepted by the four-year public schools in Oregon and meet their general education requirements.

In addition, you will have junior status at any Oregon University System school. Many private universities in Oregon also accept the AAOT, but you should check with an advising specialist or counselor regarding the school in which you are interested.

If you take classes at Chemeketa and transfer without a degree you will most likely have general education classes to take as well as a lower class standing.

I know I want to transfer to a four-year school, but I don’t know which one or what my major is going to be. How do I know what classes to take?

First, make an appointment with an advising specialist. During your meeting, the advisor will discuss the AAOT degree requirements and assist you in identifying courses. This will give you some basic classes to get started.

Next, explore potential majors, careers and colleges –

We will explore your options, to narrow down the possibilities and to figure out what you need to consider when making choices. Once you select a career and/or major, you can research the school on your own by using internet resources and by visiting different campuses.

I finished the classes for my transfer degree, what are my next steps?

When you have completed or you are close to completing your transfer degree, there are several steps that you need to take:

I completed a career-technical degree at Chemeketa and now I am considering transferring. How do I know which classes will transfer?

Understanding which classes will transfer can be a complicated process because it varies by program, the specific classes you took and where you will transfer.

First, make an appointment with an advising specialist or counselor to discuss all of your options. Bring a copy of your transcript (unofficial) to that appointment.

If you already know where you would like to transfer or what kind of program you are going to do, you still want to meet with an advising specialist or counselor.

Sometimes there are agreements for specific career-technical programs that will help you transfer more easily, and you will want to be sure to explore these with the advising specialist or counselor.

Let us help you plan your education

Phone: 503.399.5120
E-mail: Advising
Visit the Welcome Desk in Bldg. 2 on the Salem campus

Appointments can be in-person, by telephone or e-mail.