We provide opportunities for high school students to explore career options and higher education choices. We are tailored for students who are first-generation, college-bound, and meet the federal low-income requirements. As an active participant, you will be exposed to academic, social, cultural and recreational activities sponsored by Chemeketa.
What is Upward Bound?
Upward Bound (UB) is a federally funded college preparatory program that offers assistance to low-income and first-generation college-bound students. The focus of Upward Bound is to develop skills needed for post-secondary education and to help its graduates enter and stay in post-secondary education. The Chemeketa Community College Program is one of 1900 federally funded TRiO programs across the nation.
What services do we provide?
The Upward Bound Program provides you a variety of educational opportunities, as well as cultural and career activities such as -
- Visits to various colleges to explore post-secondary educational opportunities
- Exposure to cultural enrichment activities
- Assistance with SAT or ACT preparation, completing college admission and financial aid applications
- Scholarship workshops
- Twice-a-month Saturday sessions
- Tutoring in the basic areas of reading, study skills, writing, computational skills, math, science, and foreign languages
- Advising for individuals and small groups
- Career exploration and guidance for students to focus on lifelong goals
- Visits to businesses, recreational areas and cultural events
- Summer Academy: a six-week session. A one week camp followed by five weeks of academic study
- Stipends for those who actively participate in the program
Who is eligible to participate?
You must be attending North Salem High School, Santiam High School or Woodburn Academy of International Studies High School and meet the following requirements -
- Be currently enrolled in the 9th, 10th or 11th grade
- Meet the federal income guidelines
- Have academic potential
- Be a first-generation college-bound student (neither parent has a 4-year bachelor's degree)
- If you plan to go to college
- Be willing to participate in all aspects of the Upward Bound Program
How do I get more information?
Call Susan McCaffrey at 503.589.7620 or e-mail her for more information. For an Upward Bound application, please contact Veronica Sifuentez at 503.480.4771 or Lino Solomon at 503.580.0445. UB Application
Upward Bound Schedule
North Salem High School every Tuesday 2:30pm-4pm in room 112
Santiam High School Wedensdays
Woodburn AIS every Thursday from 2:50pm-4pm in AIS computer lab
Upward Bound Saturday Academies and Events
Fall 2015 (Click here for the Fall Permission Slip)
- Saturday, October 10: Upward Bound Fall Kickoff and Orientation
- Thursday, October 29: University of Oregon Connections
- Saturday, November 21: Community Service / Volunteer Day (Click here for details)
- Saturday, December 5: Scholarship Writing Workshop (Click here for details)
- Saturday, December 17: Eugene Ballet's "The Nutcracker" at the Elsinore Theatre in Salem (Click here for details)
Summer Academy 2016 (Click here for details)
- Classes: Mondays through Thursdays, June 20 - July 21 (Holiday July 4th)
- Field trips: Fridays, June 24, July 8, 15, 22
- Summer Adventure: July 25-28
College Access Programs' resource page for links to other Upward Bound related sites
Upward Bound is 100% federally funded