We provide opportunities for high school students to explore career options and higher education choices. We are tailored for students who are first-generation, college-bound, and meet the federal low-income requirements. As an active participant, you will be exposed to academic, social, cultural and recreational activities sponsored by Chemeketa.
What is Upward Bound?
Upward Bound (UB) is a federally funded college preparatory program that offers assistance to low-income and first-generation college-bound students. The focus of Upward Bound is to develop skills needed for post-secondary education and to help its graduates enter and stay in post-secondary education. Chemeketa's program is one of 1,900 federally funded TRiO programs across the nation.
What services do we provide?
Upward Bound provides you a variety of educational opportunities, as well as cultural and career activities such as -
- Visits to various colleges to explore post-secondary educational opportunities
- Exposure to cultural enrichment activities
- Assistance with SAT or ACT preparation, completing college admission and financial aid applications
- Scholarship workshops
- Twice-a-month Saturday sessions
- Tutoring in the basic areas of reading, study skills, writing, computational skills, math, science, and foreign languages
- Advising for individuals and small groups
- Career exploration and guidance for students to focus on lifelong goals
- Visits to businesses, recreational areas and cultural events
- Summer Academy: a six-week session. A one week camp followed by five weeks of academic study
- Stipends for those who actively participate in the program
Who is eligible to participate?
You must be attending North Salem High School, Santiam High School or Woodburn Academy of International Studies High School and meet the following requirements-
- Be currently enrolled in 9-11th grade
- Meet the federal income guidelines
- Have academic potential
- Be a first-generation college-bound student (neither parent has a 4-year bachelor's degree)
- If you plan to go to college
- Be willing to participate in all aspects of the Upward Bound Program
Upward Bound Schedule
- North Salem High School every Monday 2:20 pm-4 pm in room 134
- Santiam High School Tuesdays
- Woodburn AIS every Thursday from 2:50 pm-4 pm in AIS computer lab
Upward Bound Saturday Academies and Events (Winter/Spring 2017 Permission Slip)
- Saturday, January 14: Upward Bound Winter welcome back and ACT pre-test
- Saturday, January 28: Campus visit to Chemeketa Yamhill Valley Campus and presentation on human trafficking
- Saturday, February 11: Chemeketa programs day (click here for more information)
- Saturday, February 25: ACT review and ACT test prep workshops
- Saturday, March 11: OMSI
- Saturday, March 25: ACT post-test
- April 8: Chemeta placement testing (required for all Summer Academy students)
- April 21: TRiO leadership conference at Willamette University
- May 13: Summer program preview and recreation event
- May 25: TRiO graduate's banquet
School Shelf- College-prep, academic success and parental involvement resources for students, parents and mentors
For more information, please contact Veronica Sifuentez at 503.480.4771 or Lino Solomon at 503.580.0445.
Upward Bound is 100% federally funded