Survivors' & Dependents' Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)

Educational assistance is paid to the qualified dependents of disabled veterans. As of October 1st, 2014, the full-time monthly benefit is $1018.00. To be eligible for Survivors’ & Dependents’ Education Assistance, you must be the spouse or child of –

  • A veteran who died, or is permanently and totally disabled, as the result of a service-connected disability
    • The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces
  • A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence
  • A service member missing in action or captured in the line of duty by a hostile force
  • A service member forcibly detained or interned in the line of duty by a foreign government or power
  • A service member hospitalized or receiving outpatient medical care, services, or treatment for a VA determined service-connected permanent and total disability

Surviving spouses whose benefits stopped when they re-married can receive DEA benefits again if their re-marriage ends by death or divorce, or they cease to live with the person to whom they presented themselves in public as married.

Spouses and surviving spouses have 10 years from the date VA establishes eligibility to use the benefit. Surviving spouses of veterans who died while on active duty have 20 years from the date of the veteran’s death to use the benefit. Children may use the benefit while they are between the ages of 18 and 26.

Individuals making an initial application for these benefits may complete an on-line application using the Veteran's On-Line Application System or by completing and submitting a VA Form 22-5490 to Chemeketa Veterans' Services. Students who have used the benefit at another institution or have not used their benefits in more than one year should complete and submit a VA Form 22-5495 to Chemeketa Veterans' Services.


If you would like additional information, please contact us at 503.399.5004 or via e-mail. You may also fax us at 503.399.3908