Direct Deposit of Veteran Educational Benefits

This service is available for all programs funded by the U.S. Department of Veterans' Affairs.

What are the advantages of using Direct Deposit?

If you sign up for Direct Deposit, also known as Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT), the VA will deposit your education benefit payments directly into your checking or savings account. Direct Deposit is the safest and fastest way to receive your VA education payments and benefits are received 3 - 5 days sooner than benefits paid by check. You no longer have to worry about your check being delayed by the mail or being lost or stolen.

How Do You Sign Up for Direct Deposit?

You can sign up for Direct Deposit by phone or by mail. To sign up by phone, call: 1.877.838.2778. This is a toll-free call. To sign up by mail, complete VA Form 24-0296 and mail it to:

Department of Veterans' Affairs
125 S. Main St. Suite B
Muskogee, OK 74401-7004

Whether you sign up by phone or by mail, you'll need to give the VA some information about the account where you want your payments to go.

What Information Should You Give The VA?

  • Your bank or financial institution's nine digit routing number:
    • For checking accounts, the routing number is the first nine digits on the bottom of the check.
    • For savings accounts, you'll probably need to ask your financial institution for their routing number.
  • The account number
  • The type of account: checking account or savings account
    • If using your checking account, all of this information is on your checks. So, the easiest thing for you to do is send a "void" check when you sign up. You can void a check by writing "VOID" across the front of a blank check.
  • Your signature
  • Your home and work telephone numbers

Students with an award already processed by the VA who have a W.A.V.E. (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment) account, can use WAVE to submit a Direct Deposit Request or update their direct deposit information. Simply go the W.A.V.E. website, log in, select "Direct Deposit Enrollment Form" from the main menu, provide the requested information, and hit the Submit button.  If you do not have a W.A.V.E. account and you have an award already processed by the VA, you may create an account by simply following the First Time User Instructions.

A change of address can also be submitted from the WAVE site.