Preparing for the COMPASS mathematics section
The length of the math test depends on your math skills – you will be faced with more questions if you have more math skills; fewer questions otherwise. The math portion of the test may take as few as 10 minutes or as long at 2 1/2 hours.
Calculators are provided for you; however you may bring your own calculator (subject to approval by facilitator).
With permission of a member of the math faculty, you may also take an Advanced Math Placement Test. Contact a testing supervisor for details.
Resources for COMPASS math preparation
- Cliffs Quick Review: Basic Math and Pre-Algebra by Cliffs Notes (2001), ISBN 0764563742
- Algebra I by Cliffs Notes (2001), ISBN 076456370X
- Algebra II by Cliffs Notes (2001), ISBN 0764563718
- Geometry by Cliffs Notes (2001), ISBN 0764563807
- Pre-Calculus by Cliffs Notes (2001), ISBN 0764539841
- Trigonometry by Cliffs Notes (2001), ISBN 0764563890
ACT sample questions
After opening your Internet browser, go to www.act.org/compass/sample/index.html. You will be able to see sample questions for math, reading, and writing.