Placement Testing at Chemeketa Community College
It's important to determine your current skill level in reading, writing and math before you register for classes. Most new students take the Accuplacer placement test to help choose classes where success is most likely. It's important to take your placement test before you attend a New Student Advising Session. Other placement assessment methods may require that you submit documents to Chemeketa for evaluation before the New Student Advising Session.
Service Hours for Drop-in Placement Testing (no appointment required)
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday from
10:00 am to 5:00 pm
Tuesdays only from
10:00 am to 8:00 pm
Take a look at the Placement Testing Map before you come to test on the Salem Campus.
Placement Testing is not available when campus is closed on these dates:
November 23 and 24
November 28-December 1
January 1 and 2, 2018
Other Services & Placement Testing Coordination
- Former Chemeketa students who are requesting copies of previous test scores should submit a Chemeketa Placement Test Score Request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Chemeketa Online students who do not reside within the Chemeketa Community College service district can arrange Accuplacer Remote Testing through an approved testing center in their area.
More About Placement Testing
- A photo ID is required every time you test
- Accuplacer is untimed, but most students finish in less than 2 hours
- You can take the tests on different days (Reading/Writing combined and Math)
- You can’t fail a placement test, but it pays to prepare in advance and do your best.
- The test is free the first time; a re-test in the same calendar year costs $15 (cash or check only)
- Test takers who are not enrolling at Chemeketa are charged $25 (cash or check only)
- If English is not your first language our placement test advisor may recommend assessment by Chemeketa’s English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESL) program
- Students who need special accommodations should contact Disability Services
Using Other Test Scores or Transcripts Instead of Placement Testing
It's important to plan ahead if you're going to have previous test scores or college credit evaluated for placement as an alternative to taking Accuplacer. Before your New Student Advising Session, allow time to request copies of test scores or college transcripts and for Chemeketa to review them.
- Smarter Balanced (SBAC) Scores:
Get a copy of your SBAC score report from your high school, write your student ID (K#) on it, and email a copy to email@example.com. You can also take them to any Chemeketa testing location for evaluation.
Frequently Asked Questions About Smarter Balanced
- Prior Placement Tests:
If you took COMPASS, ASSET or Accuplacer Classic in the last five years, your test scores can be evaluated for possible translation into placement at Chemeketa. Chemeketa does not accept ALEKS or Accuplacer Next Generation test results. Contact your previous college and arrange to have scores emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure your Chemeketa K# is included.
- Prior College Credit:
It may not be necessary to take placement tests if you already have college credit with a C or higher from a regionally accredited college or university. Bring an unofficial copy to placement testing if you have not already requested official transcripts from your previous college. If you have already requested to have transcripts sent to Enrollment Services allow time for transcript evaluation.
Contact Salem Campus Placement Testing
Building 3, Rooms 267 and 268
4000 Lancaster Dr. NE
Salem OR 97305
Testing at Other Locations
Testing hours and follow-up advising are available at other locations. Call for a scheduled test or check walk-in hours before arriving to test. Timing and availability of advisors may vary at each location.
1340 SE Holman Ave.
Dallas, OR 97338
to schedule a test time
120 E Lincoln St.
Woodburn OR 97071
to schedule a test time
Yamhill Valley Campus
288 NE Norton Lane
McMinnville, Oregon 97128