Prepare for your Placement Test
The Accuplacer placement test will help determine your skill level in reading, writing and math for starting start classes at Chemeketa. Placing as high as your skills allow helps you reach your educational goals sooner. It’s important that you do your best, so we recommend that you prepare before arriving to test.
How do I Study?
Try working through the examples on the Accuplacer sample questions. The answers are provided at the end of the sample questions document.
Set up a free user account to practice taking the test online. You'll have a choice of Accuplacer classic or Accuplacer Next Generation. Be sure to choose Classic because Chemeketa uses that version.
Even a little study in advance can help you feel less anxious and more prepared for the Accuplacer placement tests. Of course, you may also use text books, tutors, and other resources to prepare for the test.
Test Taking Strategies
Before the test
- Be sure to get enough sleep the night before the test
- Eat a balanced meal at least an hour before the test
- Dress comfortably with layers so you can adjust to the temperature of the testing room
- Arrive a few minutes early to find the location of the testing area, perhaps use the restroom and get a drink of water
- If you have enough time before the test you may want to take a brisk walk to help calm your nerves and relax your mind
- To be successful on the test, you will need to focus and have minimal distractions. Do not bring pets or children. There is no childcare provided and children should not be left unattended outside the testing area
- Allow for at least one hour per test section. You can only concentrate if you aren't feeling rushed. Remember you will be taking a reading, writing and math test and you can choose to take the tests on different days or different times
During the test
- There are some demographic and background questions at the beginning of the test. Answer them accurately but quickly. Save your brain power for the actual test
- Read the test directions carefully and be sure you understand how to navigate through the test using the computer
- Stay aware of the time, but don't rush. Accuplacer is an untimed test
- If you begin to feel stressed, spend a few seconds reminding yourself to relax. Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths, then continue. It is important that you do your best work, but remember this test is designed to help you get placed into the courses that will benefit you and build the skills you need to be successful in college
- If you get stuck on a question, eliminate the answer choices that you know are wrong. It may help to reread the question
- Answer all the questions even if you are unsure of your response
- Don't be afraid to ask the proctor a question. While they cannot give you the answer they may be able to help with other types of questions