Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

I'm new to Chemeketa. What do I need to do to attend classes here?

We would recommend talking with an academic advisor. They will probably suggest that you take a free placement test to ascertain your academic ability to ensure correct placement in your college courses. You will also need to fill out an admission application.

I'm coming back to school after a long absence. Who can I talk to about where to start?

Our office staff can answer many of your questions about the classes offered through Chemeketa and how to register, but we recommend talking with an advisor who will help you determine the best way to proceed.

How do I find information on getting my GED?

We provide a GED orientation class that answers most of the questions students have about preparing for and taking the GED. It is recommended that all prospective GED students attend the orientation. At the Yamhill Valley Campus, you can also take classes to help you prepare for the various parts of the GED test. When you're ready, you must attend the required GED Testing Registration, in preparation for taking the test.  Students taking the Computer-based version of the GED tests have a different registration process. Click here for more details on Computer-based GED testing.

I'm not sure what classes to take. Is there an academic advisor I can meet with?

The Yamhill Valley campus provides academic advising by appointment. Another useful service is the Career Information Service that helps students choose a degree program, career path, and offers information on transfer schools. Please contact the office at 503.472.9482 for more details. The Chemeketa website also has information on degrees, programs and majors.

How do I go about getting financial aid?

Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA) forms are available in the office in both English and Spanish. You may wish to talk to an advisor if you have any questions filling out the form. In general, you should plan on sending in your financial aid form at least 6 months prior to the start of the term in which you wish to receive aid.

I already applied, so how can I check on the status of my financial aid?

To access your financial aid information in My Chemeketa:

  1. Navigate to My Chemeketa and enter your user name and password. If you don't have a login, follow the instructions at the My Chemeketa site on how to obtain one.
  2. Click on the Services tab at the top of the page.
  3. Click on the Financial Aid link

If you have other questions, please contact the Chemeketa Financial Aid Office at 503.399.5018 or by e-mail.

Are there any scholarships that I can apply for?

There are a wide variety of scholarships available for community college students. You can find out more by talking with one of our advisors, or by checking out the scholarships available to you.

I was a student here before, how do I get a copy of my transcript?

There are two kinds of transcripts. Unofficial Transcripts tell you what courses you have taken, the grades you received, and the number of credits you earned. Official Transcripts are official documents outlining the credits you have earned and are required for transferring credits to another educational institution. We are happy to help you obtain your transcript.

I want to brush up on my computer skills. Do you have computer classes on the Yamhill Valley campus?

The Yamhill Valley campus offers both credit and non-credit computer classes. Check the Yamhill Valley schedule of classes for information on specific courses.

For more information about the Yamhill Valley campus, call 503.472.9482 or visit the Chemeketa Yamhill Valley campus at 288 NE Norton Lane, McMinnville.