Health Information Management
As the country moves toward electronic health information, jobs in this exciting area will be expanding to meet an ever-increasing need for medical administrative professionals.
topics Health Sciences
Skills & InterestOrganization
Why choose program or class?
Are you interested in a career in the medical field? Can you see yourself doing the administrative function of health care? Chemeketa offers HIM, a two-year associate degree which provides training in a variety of areas that support medical professions.
Chemeketa's Health Information Management Program is in candidacy status, pending accreditation review by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). For more information concerning accreditation standards, contact the Commission on the Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education at –
- 233 N. Michigan Ave. 21st Floor, Suite 2150
Chicago, Illinois, 60601-5800,
phone number: 312-233-1100
Enrollment in the program is limited, and the application period comes early—several months before classes actually begin. These dates are updated yearly and are provided in the application information on this website. If you are considering Chemeketa's Health Information Management program, we strongly recommend you contact Counseling and Advising at 503.399.5120 for assistance with details.
What will you learn?
Our experienced faculty will teach you the skills to meet our program outcomes –
- Use health records to abstract, collect, and analyze data for use by a range of healthcare professions and health-related organizations
- Apply current technology and basic assessment tools to manage and maintain health information
- Use knowledge of structure, function, and terminology related to the human body to communicate in healthcare systems
- Apply the principles of professional ethics and diversity to medical-legal matters, including confidentiality, medical records management, release of information, patient rights, workplace rights, informed consents, and electronic information in the healthcare facility
- Use interpersonal and communication skills that build and maintain cooperative working relationships in the healthcare profession
- Use the specific skills associated with their scope of practice such as medical coding, medical reimbursement, health records management, or health information management
- Integrate and apply theory and skill in a healthcare organization through a work site experience
- Apply advanced theoretical concepts of management to the health service organization
- Analyze and interpret healthcare data and statistics for decision making in healthcare organizations
- Identify the characteristics of major health care systems to manage the healthcare environment
- Apply skills in leadership, motivation, and team building in healthcare settings
What will you do?
As a graduate of Chemeketa’s Health Information Management program, you may qualify for a variety of occupations, including –
- Medical coder
- Medical reception
- Medical biller
- Medical transcription
- Medical records/health information
- Medical insurance
A degree in this field can lead to careers in the following settings –
- Surgical Center
- Physician Office
- Long Term Care/Rehabilitation
- Insurance/Managed Care Company
- Government Agencies
Student Success Rates
Not a limited enrollment program from 2013-2015
Health Information Mgmt Student Success Rates 2014 2015 2016 Number of Enrolled 39 22 23 Number of Graduates 33 34 17 CPhT/ExCPT Pass Rate NA NA Graduate Response NA NA NA 70.5% Graduates Employed NA NA 91.67% Graduate Satisfaction NA NA 91%
CURRICULUM & PREREQUISITES
The first step to entering the program is to take part in an assessment process, which includes taking the college’s free placement test and meeting with Advising and Counseling Services. You may need to complete program entry requirements. Then your advisor will help you develop an individualized program of study, which may include an advising worksheet.
The Health Information Management Program is a limited enrollment, two-year AAS degree program that admits 35 students only in the spring term. All prerequisites and courses listed in terms one and two must be completed with a grade of "C" or better before entry into the program. An application for admission to the program is required.
Application packets will be accepted –
8 am-5 pm, January 8-February 23, 2018
In Enrollment Services Salem Bldg. 2, Rm. 200 Building 2, Room 200
We have a process in place if you did not complete the second year of the program. You can become eligible to be on a re-entry or alternate list for possible openings into the second year of Chemeketa's Associate Degree Health Information Management Program. Offer of admission will be based upon space available. This is determined in large part by the number of students applying for the program each year.
Re-entry packets will be accepted –
8 am-5 pm, January 8-February 23, 2018
In the Health Sciences Department Salem Bldg. 8, Rm. 11
For more information, please call 503.589.7848.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK
Upon entry into the program, you will be required to pass a criminal background check conducted by a college approved vendor. If you do not pass the criminal background check, program registration will not be possible. If you are arrested during the time you're enrolled in the program, you must notify the Health Information Management Program Chair of the arrest. Your status in the program will be reviewed by the Health Information Management Program Chair and the Dean of Health Sciences. A possible outcome of the review may be your inability to continue in the program.
For more information, please call 503.399.5058.