Frequently Asked Questions

If I have questions about careers in electronics or need help with my class schedule, who can talk with?

The electronics staff looks forward to helping you. Contact one of us for more information.

How do I begin the registration process?

Check out how to get started.

Can I tour the electronics laboratory?

Absolutely. Our labs are open, so feel free to drop by any time and talk with students or faculty. We're in Building 4, Room 122 on theSalem campus. You can also contact Simone Hughes and arrange a formal (or informal) tour.

Do I have to know anything about electronics before entering the program?

Absolutely not. Success in our program only requires you to be committed to learning hand have reasonable writing, reading, math, computer and study skills. The placement test required for admission will help you assess your current skill level. Contact our advising office if you need preparatory classes.

I am worried that electronics will be too difficult. What classes can I take to see if I would like and do well in your program?

Most people do well in the program if they are adequately prepared. The placement test will help determine if you have the basic skills. You can take the survey course ELT100 Electronics for Non-majors or the first class in the program curriculum, ELT131 Electronics Concepts 1 to help you decide. Check out the class schedule for the available dates and times.

Can I take electronics class in the evening or online?

We offer selected courses at night during fall term as well as some in an online format. Many of the support classes are offered in the evening and online.

If already have a degree, can I transfer some of my credits?

Yes, it is common for people like you to transfer into the electronics program. If you have courses from other colleges or training that you think might cover similar concepts, e-mail the program chair or call 503.399.6254 to schedule a meeting. Bring an unofficial copy of your transcripts to the meeting.

When do you accept new students?

You are welcome to begin any term. However the technical courses are sequential so they are offered in a series that begins only in fall term. Some special classes are only offered during summer term.

How much will this cost me and when does the next term start?

Here are our current tuition and fees and you can follow the link from there to our net price calculator which will estimate the total cost for what you want to accomplish. Take a look at the currentclass schedule for the next start date and more details about enrolling at Chemeketa.

Can I take more than two years to complete my certificate or degree?

Yes. In fact, if you must work more than 20 hours per week, you should plan on taking three or more years to complete the program. In general during the first year of a three-year program, you will take most of the support classes listed in the course catalog plus a few technology classes. If you schedule your classes correctly, you will be a full-time student during this time (important if you are on financial aid). We suggest you have an electronics advisor review your proposed schedule each term to avoid problems such as not having the correct prerequisites.

If I would like to start taking classes before fall term, what classes should I take?

You should complete any preparatory courses first. Then take as many support classes as you can. The more support classes you complete, the easier your workload will be when you start taking the technology classes. Depending on which electronics program you enroll in, you might want to take one or more of these support courses -

  • Writing 121 (WR121)
  • Writing 227 (WR227)
  • Spanish 111 (SPN111)
  • Field Experiences 205B (FE 205B)
  • Psychology 104 (PSY 104)
  • Drafting 101 (DRF101)
  • Math 111 (MTH111)
    • Or MTH 081
  • Math 112 (MTH112)
    • Or MTH 082
  • Math 243 (MTH243)
  • Physics 201 (PH201)
    • Or PH 121
  • Physics 202 (PH202)
    • Or PH 122
  • Network Technology 123 (NET123)
  • Microelectronics/Industrial 110 (MT110)
  • Electronics Technologies 121 (ELT121)

Is it desirable to have a working knowledge of common computer applications before taking any of the electronics classes?

We assume you will be computer literate before enrolling in any electronics class. By computer literate, we mean -

  • You can type at least 20 words per minute
  • You can work in the Windows operating system and are able to use Word and Excel

If you want to learn computer literacy, we suggest you take Computer Science 101 Introduction to Microcomputers.

Do I need my own computer?

You will need your own Intel-compatible computer with an Internet connection. We suggest as a minimum -

  • Windows operating system with Microsoft Office
  • Intel i5 Core, 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 512MB video card, 120GB hard drive
  • LCD 17" monitor, CDRW, DVD, 3 USB ports, one 4GB Flash Drive

If you don’t have a personal computer, you can use a computer in our lab.

Can I see any videos that show the work environment and opportunity in the high-tech industry?

The high-tech industry is very diverse and it would be impossible to have videos on all the different opportunities. However, one of the fastest growing and largest segments of the high-tech industry is semiconductors, and they have provided us with three videos -

  1. Silicon Run (VTR2601)
  2. Silicon Run II (VTR2602)
  3. Discover a New World of Opportunity

You can arrange to view these videos at our media center (503.399.5045) and they also have the excellent Pathways to Technologies series which we recommend.

What electronics classes are offered in the summer?

Our summer offerings are normally limited to the renewable energy curriculum which are each two weeks in duration and offered in a sequence. Many of the support classes you need to complete are offered in summer.

How many hours per week should I work while attending college?

Normally, students who work and go to college do not work more than 20 hours per week. Most students have jobs in the evening or on the weekend thus making it easier to schedule classes. Students who work more than 20 hours per week usually extend the amount of time it takes to complete.

Chemeketa's placement test has several math options. Which math test should I take?

Make sure you take the Elementary Algebra or higher test and NOT the Numeric Skills test. An advisor cannot help you select an appropriate math class unless you take the Elementary Algebra or higher test. Therefore, take the Elementary Algebra test even if you think you will not do well. Even if you place plow, Chemeketa has classes that can get you ready to successfully enter and complete the electronics program.

Can I start taking classes while still in high school?

Some high schools have College Credit Now agreements with Chemeketa. Chemeketa has certified these high schools to offer selected classes. Check with your high school advisor.

For more information, e-mail or call 503.399.6254.