Emergency Medical Technology careers
EMTs and paramedics care for the sick and injured during medical emergencies,
responding to emergency calls, performing medical services and transporting patients to
medical facilities. Lives often depend on quick reaction and competent care.
The EMT certification prepares you to -
- Provide basic cardiac, respiratory and traumatic injury emergency care
- Care for patients on scene or en route to the hospital
The Oregon EMT Intermediate prepares you to -
- Perform all duties of EMT
- Use defibrillators to restart a heart that has stopped
- Give fluids and medications intravenously
- Clear the airway using sophisticated techniques and equipment
The Paramedic degree prepares you to -
- Perform all duties of EMT and Oregon EMT Intermediate
- Give medications
- Read EKGs (electrocardiograms)
- Use a variety of complex equipment
Paramedic licensure is the most advanced level of certification. These professionals complete
many additional hours of coursework and hands on experience.
Due to the length of training most Paramedics hold higher paid positions.
The helpful staff of Chemeketa’s Career Center can help you find your next job.