Learn about how past events have shaped today's world
History is the study of the human past. Professional historians examine historical documents and use oral history accounts to investigate and interpret the past. While Chemeketa does not have a history program certificate or degree, the college does offer a wide variety of history courses that prepare students for upper-level historical study.
Students who study history at Chemeketa will learn to:
- Identify the causes and effects of important historical events and trends.
- Describe how the present has been shaped by historical events, issues and ideas.
- Use specific evidence to make an historical argument.
- Evaluate various historians' arguments about an issue or time period.
- Understand the major political, social, economic, cultural and intellectual transformations in human history.