Frequently Asked Questions

What kind of calculator should I buy?

A scientific calculator is required for all classes up through MTH060.

A graphing calculator is required for all classes above MTH060. We recommend either the Texas Instruments TI-83 or TI-84. Both models are sold at most major retailers and can also be rented through the Math Learning Center in Building 3 Room 277. Many students purchase a TI-89 for the Calculus sequence, though the TI-83 or TI-84 can also be used for Calculus.

What is the difference between the Math Learning Center and the Tutoring Center?

The Math Learning Center (MLC) on Chemeketa’s Salem campus is a multi-use math resource area.  Centrally located in Building 3 Room 277, it is a convenient place for students to meet and for faculty to hold office hours.  

Flexible seating inside the MLC adapts easily to study groups of any size. Computers and laptops are available for online homework.  Graphing calculators can be rented for $5 per term (with a $25 security deposit) and textbooks can be borrowed for use while in the MLC.

The MLC is staffed by faculty and skilled instructional assistants whose primary focus is to help students in individualized study sections of MTH020 through MTH095.  They also help students from any class with questions about calculators and navigating MyMathLab.

Depending on demand and/or availability, the MLC staff may also assist students in lecture, hybrid, and online courses.  Students desiring dedicated one-on-one assistance, especially those in MTH105 or above, should visit the Tutoring Center, which is just around the corner in Building 2 Room 210. 


What is MyMathLab?

MyMathLab is an online learning environment that includes an e-Book, video lectures, instant homework help, unlimited practice problems, and several other tools for student success. MyMathLab is required for many online and hybrid classes and can be purchased in a bundle with your book at Chemeketa's Bookstore. Check with your instructor for details.

Which class should I take next?

That depends on your course of study. While it's best to consult with a counselor, advisor, or a math instructor, the following charts can give you some direction:

Lower Division Flowchart

Lower Division Flowchart

Technical Flowchart

Technical Math Flowchart

What if I disagree with my placement based on my test scores?

Discuss this with a counselor, advisor, or a math instructor. If you can demonstrate a sufficient background in mathematics then a placement override may be granted.

How can I get past a ‘block’ in registration?

If you have not meet the prerequisites for a course your registration will be blocked. If you think that you are well prepared for the class you are encouraged to discuss your situation with the instructor. The instructor may override the prerequisite block if they feel it is appropriate.

What if I still don't know what to do?

If you have additional questions about math at Chemeketa the Counseling Center or any full-time math faculty will be glad to help you. If you need help finding a full-time mathematics faculty stop by the Math, Science & Technology office in Building 9 Room 105.