- the systematic study of society, social change, and the social causes and consequences of our behavior as social beings
- a social science involving the study of the social lives of people, groups and societies
- the scientific study of social aggregations, the entities through which humans move throughout their lives
- an overarching unification of all studies of humankind, including history, psychology and economics
The sociology program's focus is to
- Prepare students for upper-level study in sociology.
- Aid students in incorporating sociological perspectives in their chosen academic and career fields.
- Cultivate critical-thinking skills and social science literacy in order to better understand ourselves and the world around us.