Wine Studies Program
An Educational Leader in the Northwest Wine Industry
The Wine Studies Program consists of three degree tracks -
We operate the Northwest Wine Studies Center at
Chemeketa Eola which includes a vineyard planted with cool climate grapes and a
commercial-sized winery. Oregon LIVE
a non-profit organization dedicated to sustainable practices is housed there as well.
Our program resources and expert faculty offer you a unique opportunity for
hands on experience and technical mastery to prepare you for a career in the wine industry
Looking for a job or want to post a job?
Open and click on Career Services
- Legally and Safely Use SO2 to Disinfect Your Wine Barrels and Corks
Respiratory Protection for Agricultural Operations
Four pesticide recertification hours available
Thursday, December 8
8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Chemeketa Eola - Northwest Wine Studies Center
Building 1, Pinot Noir Room
215 Doaks Ferry Rd. NW
Salem, OR 97304
Garnet Cooke, Oregon OSHA instructor
$42 - Register for CRN 41033
Did you know disinfectants are pesticides? California has been using a restricted-use sulfur dioxide product to gas wine barrels and corks for many years. In Oregon, Airgas has registered their Sulfur Dioxide product as a Restricted Use Pesticide in both Oregon and Washington.
This four hour course will prepare you to legally and safely use SO2, and provide you with the tools necessary to protect yourself and your staff when using this gas.
What will you learn?
- What type of Pesticide Applicator License is required from the Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA)
- What personal protection equipment (PPE) is required
- Air monitoring equipment for SO2
- The right respirator AND the correct cartridges for SO2
- The hazards posed by SO2
- Are you storing your cylinders correctly?
- How to develop a written Respirator Program
- Medical evaluations
- Fit testing
- Training, maintenance and storage
With the new SO2 registration comes new label requirements winery operators will need to follow from both Oregon Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) and the Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA).
Learn the requirements BEFORE you need to gas your wine barrels!
- New Wine Studies non-credit workshops in English and Spanish
See page 4 of the Winter 2017 Agricultural Sciences Newsletter and Class Schedule for more details
- Vineyard Pruning in Spanish, January 21
- Winery Social Media, February 15
- Vineyard Pesticide Management in Spanish, February 18
- Organic Spray Programs for Grapes, March 11
- Winery Business Plans, March 15
- Vineyard Sprayer Calibration in Spanish, March 18
Learn, connect and grow at the Oregon Wine Symposium, the premier educational event and trade show for the Northwest wine community
Presented by the wine industry's leading experts, the Symposium is a must-attend event for winery and vineyard owners, vineyard managers, winemakers, marketing and sales managers and winery staff.
The Symposium is comprised of two full days of panel discussions and presentations covering the most relevant topics in viticulture, enology and wine business.
- Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 8 am - Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 5 pm
- Oregon Convention Center
777 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard
Portland OR 97232
- Register Now USA Registration and Cost: $20-$240
Registration includes access to the Northwest's biggest wine industry trade show, featuring more than 170 exhibitors.
- Chemeketa wine added to Mahonia Hall cellar at Gov. Kate Brown's receiption held in honor of Oregon's wine industry
- See the Chemeketa TV commercial
promoting a wine industry career
Visit Chemeketa Wine Studies on Instagram
Sign up to receive Northwest Wine Studies news
call us at 503.399.5139 for more information.