All employees, vendors and members of the public will and interact without being impeded by disrespectful behavior of others.
Respectful Community Policy
Employees, students, vendors, and members of the general public are expected to –
- Treat all employees, students and members of the general public with dignity and respect in their behavior and their communications when they are on campus or involved in a college activity
- Accept responsibility for the appropriateness of their own conduct
- Comply with all laws or contracts applicable to workplace and academic behavior
It is impossible to list all forms of conduct that might be considered disrespectful or inappropriate. Certain behaviors, such as physical violence, or threat of violence, are clearly unacceptable at any time. Other more subtle behaviors deemed inappropriate by the college are prohibited. Examples include, but are not limited to, behavior that disrupts student learning or business operations of the college, excessive rudeness and intolerance of the use of languages other than English.
BASIS FOR DETERMINATION
Chemeketa will make the determination of violation of this policy based on the perceptions of the recipient and will consider what a “reasonable person” would have found to be in violation of this policy. The determination will be made applying the reasonable person standard.
This policy applies to all college employees, anyone serving in a supervisory capacity on behalf of the college, students, vendors when they are interacting with college personnel, and members of the general public.
- Any employee engaging in behavior prohibited by this policy is subject to discipline that may include termination, subject to any association contract
- Any student engaging in behavior prohibited by this policy is subject to Students’ Rights and Responsibilities
- Any vendor engaging in behavior prohibited by this policy may have their contract cancelled, within the terms and conditions of their contract
- Any member of the general public engaging in behavior prohibited by this policy may be trespassed from college property
It is critical that everyone feel free to come forward with any complaints or concerns regarding inappropriate conduct. Retaliation against any person for making a complaint or for providing information concerning a complaint is prohibited. Any acts of retaliation may result in a sanction as outlined in the sanction portion of this policy.