Prepare for Accuplacer Testing
A little preparation refreshes your memory and helps you feel ready for testing.
How Do I Study?
- Try working through the Accuplacer Sample Questions. Answers are provided at the end
- Set up a free online Accuplacer account to practice taking the test online (choose the Accuplacer Classic version)
- Even a little study in advance can help you feel less anxious and more prepared for the Accuplacer placement tests
- Of course, you may also use textbooks, tutors and other resources to prepare for the test
Test Taking Strategies
Before the test
- Get plenty of sleep the night before
- Eat a balanced meal at least an hour before
- Dress comfortably in layers to easily adjust to room temperature
- Arrive a little early to get your parking permit, find restrooms, water fountain, testing room, etc.
- If you have time before the test take a walk to calm your nerves and relax
- Allow about two hours for testing (or longer if you think you'll need it)
During the test
- Answer the background questions as accurately as possible because some answers help with placement
- Read the test directions carefully and ask the proctor if you don't understand how to navigate through the test
- If you feel stressed, close your eyes and take a few deep breaths to relax and then continue
- Remember this test is designed to help you select courses that will benefit you and build the skills you need to be successful
- If you get stuck on a question, eliminate the answer choices that you know are wrong. It may help to reread the question