Bilingual Pathway & Tuition Assistance
There is an acute need for bilingual teachers in Oregon. If you are a Spanish-speaking student pursuing a degree in education, you may qualify for our bilingual teacher pathway.
Tuition Assistance Available
Chemeketa has designed a special path with up to two years of tuition assistance for Spanish speaking students who pursue a degree in education. Students will –
- Test on oral and written proficiency
- Submit an application
- Participate in community service work
- Maintain good grades
- Demonstrate a commitment to becoming a teacher
|Credit Hours||Assistance Available|
|Full-time student (12 or more credits)||Up to $500 tuition assistance per term|
|Part-time student (4-11 credits)||Up to $350 tuition assistance per term|
|One-class student||Up to $200 tuition assistance per term|
Please complete one of the applications below for the Bilingual Student Teacher Leader program –
Special Summer 2018 Scholarship for Educational Assistants
In addition to scholarships for Bilingual Student Teacher Leaders, this summer there will be 15 additional $1,000 scholarships for full-time Spanish bilingual students who plan on pursuing a degree in Education.
Summer term applications are due July 5, 2018.
DEMONSTRATE FLUENCY IN SPANISH
To be eligible, you must take an oral and written Spanish test to demonstrate your fluency.
Testing dates are –
- Summer 2017: Saturday, July 1, 1 pm (complete application due July 6)
- Fall 2017: Saturday, September 30, 1 pm (complete application due October 5)
- Winter 2018: Saturday, January 13, 1 pm (complete application due January 18)
- Spring 2018: Saturday, April 7, 1 pm (complete application due April 12)
Testing location –
Salem Bldg. 2
Call 503.399.5140 for a test appointment
COMPLETE SERVICE WORK EACH TERM
You must complete community service hours in an educational setting (or other locations arranged by the Dean), utilizing your Spanish skills.
- If you're receiving the $500 tuition assistance, you will need to complete at least ten hours
- If you're receiving the $350 or $200 will need to complete at least five hours
MAINTAIN YOUR ELIGIBILITY EACH TERM
To maintain eligibility for assistance, you must submit your final grades and your schedule for the next term. Grades and classes must meet the following criteria –
- You must have a minimum 3.00 GPA
- You must complete the COMPASS test placement in
- WR115 or better
- RD115 or better
- MTH095 or better
- There is no funding for coursework below 100
- You must demonstrate commitment to pursuing a degree in education and plan to transfer to a four-year university or college