Get Help Paying For College
You may be able to get help paying the cost of college with scholarships and federal financial aid.
Types of Financial Aid
Depending on what you qualify for, there are several types of financial aid available to help pay for college.
Federal & State Aid
Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will tell you if you qualify for federal or state aid, including grants, loans and work-study.
October 1 was the first day you could fill out your FAFSA for the 2017-2018 school year. You should fill out your FAFSA as early as you can every year.
Grants – These do not have to be paid back
- Federal Pell Grant
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
- Oregon Opportunity Grant
- Academic competitiveness
Loans – These have to be paid back with interest
- Federal Perkins Student Loan
- Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan
- Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
- Federal PLUS Loan for parents
- Short-term loans for textbooks
Other Types of Aid
Scholarships – These are often based on merit and do not have to be paid back
- Chemeketa Scholars - Applications accepted early March
- Chemeketa Foundation scholarships - Applications accepted each February
- Oregon scholarships
Tuitions Waivers – If you qualify, you do not have to pay full price for tuition
Tuition waivers are available for –
- Students aged 65+
- Disabled Oregon Veterans
- Dependents of fallen Oregon Service Personnel