breadcrumbs-home cross minus plus menu search oregon chemeketa-instagram envelope-o star check close home chevron-left chevron-right plus2 chevron-up chevron-down twitter facebook envelope linkedin angle-left angle-right angle-up angle-down rotate-left instagram
Jump to Header Jump to Main Navigation and Secondary Navigation Jump to main content Jump to Footer

High School Equivalency Program (HEP)

If you are a migrant or seasonal farmworker, you can earn your GED through Chemeketa Community College

What You will Learn in HEP

The High School Equivalency Program (HEP) provides migrant and seasonal farmworkers, and their children, with an intensive study program to pursue their GED. You can enroll at any time during the regular academic year and take evening classes that will allow you to continue to work while earning your GED.

Chemeketa will provide you with the academic skills necessary to pass the GED exams and other services, including -

  • English courses (ESOL)
  • Bilingual services
  • Personal advising and counseling
  • Tutoring services
  • Technology and computer training
  • Academic excursions

You might also qualify for -

  • Childcare grants
  • Transportation grants
  • Meals

    To be eligible for the high School equivalency program you must -

    • Be at least 16 years of age or older
    • Not have earned a high school diploma in the United States
    • Have worked at least 75 days within the last two years in agriculture as a migrant or seasonal farm worker. This includes any activity directly related to the production of: crops, dairy products, poultry or livestock, nursery, forestry and fish farming.

    OR have participated within the last two years in a Migrant Education Program (MEP) or in a National Farm worker Jobs Program (NFJP).

    You may also qualify for HEP if one of your parents or legal guardians meets the migrant or seasonal farm work requirement described above.


    To apply -

    1. Bring your application to High School Equivalency Program office in Bldg. 22, Rm. 100, on the Salem Campus
    2. Take admission tests to determine academic level in math, reading and writing.
    3. Complete an interview with High School Equivalency Program staff to evaluate candidacy and answer questions
    4. Attend a first-day orientation