breadcrumbs-home chemeketa-community-college-abstract-logo chemeketa-community-college-abstract-logo cross minus plus menu search oregon chemeketa-instagram envelope-o star check close home chevron-left chevron-right plus2 chevron-up chevron-down twitter facebook envelope linkedin angle-left angle-right angle-up angle-down rotate-left instagram
Jump to Header Jump to Main Navigation and Secondary Navigation Jump to main content Jump to Footer

Get help paying for your education

How To Apply For Financial Aid

A new application is required for each school year. Apply now.

Financial Aid Application Details

Because the financial aid process can take several months, you should apply as soon as you can. You will need to apply for financial aid each school year.

DACA students apply with the Oregon Student Aid Application (ORSAA) for each school year.  

October 1 was the first day to apply for next school year with the 2020-21 FAFSA. Apply for both 2019-20 and 2020-21 if you are attending this school year. 

Recommended FAFSA Targets for 2020-2021
Enrollment termComplete the FAFSA and My Chemeketa requirements by:
Summer 2020 April 20, 2020
Fall 2020 July 13, 2020
Winter 2021 October 19, 2020
Spring 2021 February 1, 2021

Step By Step Instructions

  • If this is your first time filling out the Free Application For Student Aid (FAFSA), you will need to create an FSA ID at
    • If a parent is signing your FAFSA, they will also need an FSA ID
  • Complete the FAFSA at
    • Chemeketa’s federal school code is 003218
    • If you or your parent(s) that are on your FAFSA filed taxes we recommend using the IRS data retrieval tool to link to the tax information
  • When we get your FAFSA information, we will send instructions to your My Chemeketa account if there is anything else we will need to have sent to the financial aid office
    • Check your My Chemeketa email or "Services" tab for financial aid requirements 

Review Process

When all the required items are complete and in our office, your file will move into the review process. This can take several weeks.

You can view what the financial aid office needs for your in your My Chemeketa account.

Gainful Employment

Find out more information about each programs opportunities for gainful employment.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Eligibility

    How do know if I’m eligible to apply for financial aid (FAFSA)?

    Regular students, both US citizens and eligible non-citizens can qualify for financial aid. The application will notify you if you don't meet the basic criteria to apply. The FAFSA is just the first step in the process to find out if you are eligible to receive financial aid at Chemeketa. 

  • One or both of my parents do not have a social security number. Am I still eligible?

    As long as you, the applicant, meet the federal student aid eligibility requirements, you can apply.


    Financial aid includes direct loans, federal and state grants and federal work-study.  

  • What are the estimated costs to attend Chemeketa Community College?

    Listed below are the estimated costs you may incur for attending Chemeketa Community College full-time (12 or more credits) for one term.  Financial aid is available for part-time study and the costs listed below will be appropriately prorated.  Visit the Tuition and Fee page for updates about tuition and fee costs.

    What are the estimated costs to attend Chemeketa Community College?
    Expense Living Off-CampusLiving With Parents
    Tuition & Fees $1,380 $1,380
    Books & Supplies $500 $500
    Room & Board $3,954 $1,305
    Transportation & Personal $1,000 $1,000
    Total $6,834 $4,185



  • When should I fill out the FAFSA?

    Apply as early as possible with a new FAFSA for each school year.  October 1st is always the first day to apply for the next school year.  The entire process can take several months depending on the time of year.  Apply by our recommended application deadline to make sure you have enough time to complete the process before the term you want to attend.  

  • Should I apply for admission or financial aid first?

    You can do this in either order but you must be admitted to a financial aid eligible program to receive financial aid.  After completing the FAFSA you need to have access to your My Chemeketa account and e-mail address to complete the next steps in the process.  

  • Do income tax returns need to be completed before filling out the FAFSA?

    If you are filing your tax return late it is OK to estimate tax figures on your application.  The FAFSA now uses prior prior tax year information so most applicants will have already submitted their tax return before the the first day to submit the FAFSA.  If you are not otherwise required to file a tax return you do not need to file a return to be able to submit FAFSA.  

  • I support myself. Do my parents still have to fill out the FAFSA?

    If you answer no to all questions on the Dependency Determination section of the FAFSA, you must include parent information. If your parents do not provide their information on your application, you cannot be considered for aid. If you have special circumstances and can provide documentation that something occurred that severed the relationship with your parent(s), and you can provide documentation that you have no contact with your parent(s), contact the Financial Aid Office.

  • My parents are divorced. Whose information should I provide?

    Provide the information of the parent you lived with most over the last 12 months. If you did not live with one parent more than the other, provide information about the parent who provided most of your financial support during the last 12 months. If your parent is remarried, you will need to include the income tax information of your step parent, as well.

  • One or both of my parents to do not have a social security number. What information do I include?

    If your parents do not have a Social Security Number, don't make up a random number or use a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN). Instead, use 000-00-0000.

  • How do I receive Federal Work-Study (FWS)?

    You must first submit a FAFSA and specify that you are interested in Federal Work-Study. Federal Work-Study is awarded based on need and availability of funds. Chemeketa will determine whether you qualify and send you instructions for the process if you are awarded. 

  • Do I have to reapply for financial aid each year?

    Yes, a new FAFSA is required for each year you are in college. It is best to apply as early as possible for each school year. October 1st is currently the first day to apply for each school year.

Financial Aid Offer Details


  • How do I remain eligible for financial aid each year (satisfactory academic progress)?

    You need to make Satisfactory Academic Progress.  In general this means maintaining a 2.00 cumulative grade point average (GPA) for the following number of credit hours: full-time students,12 credits; three-quarter-time students, 9 to 11 credits; half-time students: six to eight credits ; less than half-time students, complete all credits. In addition, you are required to pass at least 67 percent of your attempted credits. These requirements apply to each term you are receiving financial aid, as well as all terms you’re attending Chemeketa.

  • What if I don’t maintain satisfactory academic progress?

    If you do not meet the minimum term, cumulative credit hours and/or GPA requirements, the Financial Aid Office reviews your progress and may either stop your aid or place you on “Warning” status. If you are on warning, and do not meet the requirements the following term, you will be placed on “Denied” status and your aid will be discontinued.

  • What happens if I'm placed on Warning status, but then successfully complete the following term?

    If you successfully complete your classes (as stipulated under Satisfactory Academic Progress) the following term, you are removed from Warning status and return to "Good Standing."

  • What can I do if placed on "Denied" status?

    You can file an Academic Progress Appeal. Print the appeal form and instructions from this link SAP Appeal 2018.  Filing an academic progress appeal is the only way to be considered for reinstatement from denied status.  

  • What happens if I drop or fail all my classes?

    If you drop all your classes or fail all your classes, Chemeketa Financial Aid must calculate how much of your financial aid you can keep and how much of your financial aid must be repaid. The Return of Title IV Funds Policy explains how this financial aid calculation works.  Students who drop all their classes after receiving financial aid or fail all their classes are ineligible for future financial aid.