Get Help Paying For College
You may be able to get help paying the cost of college with scholarships and state and federal financial aid.
Types of Financial Aid
Depending on what you qualify for, there are several types of financial aid available to help pay for college.
Federal & State Aid
Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will tell you if you qualify for federal or state aid, including grants, loans and work-study.
The FAFSA for next school year will be available in December. You should fill out your FAFSA as early as you can every year to receive the maximum award you are eligible for.
Grants are "free money" that do not have to be paid back. Some types of grants include –
- Federal Pell Grant
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
- Oregon Opportunity Grant
- Oregon Promise
Loans have to be paid back with interest. Some types of loans are –
- Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan
- Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
- Federal PLUS Loan for parents
- Short-term loans for textbooks
Other Types of Aid
These are often based on merit and do not have to be paid back. There are many resources for scholarships, here are a few –
- Chemeketa Scholars - Applications accepted early March
- Chemeketa Foundation scholarships - Applications accepted each February
- Oregon scholarships
If you qualify, you do not have to pay full price for tuition. Tuition waivers are available for –
- Students aged 65+
- Disabled Oregon Veterans
- Dependents of fallen Oregon Service Personnel