Health Information Management
As the country moves toward electronic health information, jobs in this exciting area will be expanding to meet an ever-increasing need for medical administrative professionals.
topics Health Sciences
Skills & InterestOrganization
Why choose program or class?
Are you interested in a career in the medical field? Can you see yourself doing the administrative functions in a health care environment? Chemeketa offers a two-year associates degree in HIM. This degree provides the training necessary to work in a variety of professional healthcare settings.
The Health Information Management program is seeking accreditation through the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management (CAHIIM). Graduates of the program will be eligible to sit for the national certification once the accreditation has been approved.
For more information concerning accreditation standards, contact the Commission on the Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education at –
- 233 N. Michigan Ave. 21st Floor, Suite 2150
Chicago, Illinois, 60601-5800,
phone number: 312.233.1100
Apply now - complete prerequisites fall and winter term to start program in the spring. The Health Information Management Program is a limited enrollment, application-based program that admits 35 students on a first come, first served basis. If you are considering Chemeketa's Health Information Management program, you must first meet with a Health Information Management advisor before starting the program. Contact Counseling and Advising at 503.399.5120 to review the requirements.
What will you learn?
Our experienced faculty will teach you the skills to meet our program outcomes –
- Use health records to abstract, collect, and analyze data for use by a range of healthcare professions and health-related organizations
- Apply current technology and basic assessment tools to manage and maintain health information
- Use knowledge of structure, function, and terminology related to the human body to communicate in healthcare systems
- Apply the principles of professional ethics and diversity to medical-legal matters, including confidentiality, medical records management, release of information, patient rights, workplace rights, informed consents, and electronic information in the healthcare facility
- Use interpersonal and communication skills that build and maintain cooperative working relationships in the healthcare profession
- Use the specific skills associated with their scope of practice such as medical coding, medical reimbursement, health records management, or health information management
- Integrate and apply theory and skill in a healthcare organization through a work site experience
- Apply advanced theoretical concepts of management to the health service organization
- Analyze and interpret healthcare data and statistics for decision making in healthcare organizations
- Identify the characteristics of major health care systems to manage the healthcare environment
- Apply skills in leadership, motivation, and team building in healthcare settings
What will you do?
As a graduate of Chemeketa’s Health Information Management program, you may qualify for a variety of occupations, including –
- Medical coder
- Medical reception
- Medical biller
- Medical records/health information
- Medical insurance
A degree in this field can lead to careers in the following settings –
- Surgical center
- Physician office
- Long-term care/rehabilitation
- Insurance/managed care company
- Government agencies
Student Success Rates
Not a limited enrollment program from 2013-2015
Student Success Rates Health Information Mgmt Student Success Rates 2014 2015 2016 Number of Enrolled 39 22 23 Number of Graduates 33 34 17 CPhT/ExCPT Pass Rate NA NA Graduate Response NA NA NA 70.5% Graduates Employed NA NA 91.67% Graduate Satisfaction NA NA 91%
CURRICULUM & PREREQUISITES
An application for admission to the program is required. The first step to entering the program is to take part in an assessment process, which includes taking the college’s free placement test and then meeting with a Health Information Management advisor to review and complete the Academic Advising Worksheet before starting the program. All prerequisites and courses listed in terms one and two must be completed with a grade of "C" or better before entry into the third term. To review the Academic Advising Worksheet, please click here.
For more detail on courses, please click on course sequence on the left hand side of page.
Applicants that have courses completed from other colleges and/or universities can submit official transcripts along with the Request for Evaluation and Transfer of Previous Credit form. Please submit official transcripts and form to Enrollment Services, Building 2, Room 200.
Apply now for fall term entry. The Health Information Management Program is a limited enrollment, application-based program that admits 35 students on a first come, first served basis. Please see the application for more details.
Applicants that have courses completed from other colleges and/or universities can submit official transcripts along with the "Request for Evaluation and Transfer of Previous Credit" form. Please submit official transcripts and form to Enrollment Services, Building 2, Room 200.
2019-20 Health Information Management Application
Review our Student Handbook to get useful information about the program and being a student at Chemeketa.
Criminal Background Check
Upon entry into the program, you will be required to pass a criminal background check conducted by a college approved vendor. If you do not pass the criminal background check, program registration will not be possible.
If you are arrested during the time you're enrolled in the program, you must notify the Health Information Management Program Chair of the arrest. Your status in the program will be reviewed by the Health Information Management Program Chair and the Dean of Health Sciences. A possible outcome of the review may be your inability to continue in the program.
The cost of the background check is approximately $45.00. There may be an additional fee if you have lived in anohter state or country.
For more information call the Health Sciences Department at 503.399.5058.