Turn your creative side into a career. Earn degrees in graphic design and interactive media (web design). Take classes in photography, illustration and filmmaking.
topics Arts Communications
Skills & InterestCreativity
CareersArt & Communications
Why choose program or class?
Our focus is to prepare you for a career in the graphic arts. Successful completion of the program will equip you with –
- Print and digital portfolios of your work
- Practical, hands-on experience with the digital tools of designers
- Resume showing real-world experience
- Personal logo and branding
The VC Program is now closed for the 2018-19 school year.
If you are interested in joining the program fall 2019, please plan to attend our first Overview Session on November 7, 2018.
Our small class sizes allow for one-on-one critiques with instructors and lots of personal attention. You'll find our instructors are passionate about what they teach. You'll be teamed with students who are equally dedicated to their class work. We have two amazing Mac labs with wonderful technical support and the latest software.
Ours is an intense and demanding program. You will be challenged and you will smile as you work harder than you ever thought possible. The program is a great launching pad to wherever your creativity takes you.
What will you learn?
You will learn the technical skills as well as the teamwork and creative problem solving essential to your career. You will develop skills in graphic design, layout, typography, photography, and Web design while attaining an AAS degree. Classes in illustration, photography, animation and filmmaking will open new possibilities for expanding your creative abilities.
Aptitudes and Skills
- Critical thinking about design
- Visualize finished design
- Distinguish colors and typefaces
- Artistic skills
- Creativity and problem solving
- Computer skills and ability to learn new technology
- Make visual comparisons and see slight differences in shapes and shades
- Knowledge of design, typography, photography, printing and electronic media including internet communications
- Command of language to present information and ideas clearly
- Make decisions based on experience
- Work quickly and accurately
- Organizational and time-management skills
- Respond constructively to suggestions
See Course Sequences for more information.
What will you do?
Your training in visual communications gives you a wide range of career options –
- Graphic design
- Web design
- Production designer
- Prepress professional
- Multimedia production
Graphic design employment is expected to grow 10-15% over the next 5-10 years. Creative individuals with technical expertise are limited only by their skill and capacity for work.
GRAPHIC DESIGN DEGREE
The Graphic Design degree emphasizes ideas and creativity above all else, while also providing a firm technical foundation in software and production.
Classes in design, drawing, photography, typography and layout form the basis for design as you learn to solve communications challenges. Class content integrates work in icon and logo design, and image-making with print and interactive projects.
INTERACTIVE MEDIA DEGREE
Earn a degree in Graphic Design with an Option in Interactive Media. You will develop skills in –
- Web design
- Visual design
- HTML/CSS coding
You will also be exposed to core graphic design skills, including typography, layout, and illustration. You will produce a digital and printed portfolio of work, including a portfolio website and résumé in preparation for entering the job market.
Visual Communications has a great selection of classes covering many aspects of modern photography, including –
- Digital photography
- Studio photography
- Documentary photography
- Portraiture photography
- Photo Illustration
- History of Photography
While most of our classes are taught using digital SLRs (single lens reflex cameras), we also offer several traditional black-and-white film classes.
- ART265 Photography 1
- ART266 Photography 2
- ART267 Portrait Photography
- ART268 Documentary Photography
- ART237 Photo Illustration
- ART202 History of Photography
- ART142 Intro to Photography
Receive hands-on learning in both traditional and digital illustration processes and techniques from practicing industry professionals. Classes in illustration include –
- ART Photo Illustration
- ART238 Intro to Illustration
- ART239 Intro to Digital Illustration
- ART240 Advanced Digital Illustration
For students interested in our filmmaking, we offer three courses, all taught by professionals in the field –
- FLM 265 Documentary Filmmaking
- FLM 266 Narrative Filmmaking
- FLM 268 Advanced Filmmaking
We recommend you provide your own video camera that records HD video and has an external microphone jack. However, we do have a limited number of video cameras for group use.