Coronavirus Resources & Information
This page will provide information related to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and Chemeketa's preparations and response.
Students: Although campus facilities are closed, the college is still operating. You will be able to reach advisors, counselors, financial aid, student accommodations, and other offices and services to support you. Links to these services will be available through the Remote Learning Hub: go.chemeketa.edu/remotelearninghub
The college continues to monitor the coronavirus (COVID-19). Information continues to evolve, and updates are available from the Oregon Health Authority and the Center for Disease Controls and Prevention (CDC).
Update regarding face shields, efffective 10/19/20: Oregon Health Authority now recommends wearing a face covering/mask instead of a face shield (except in limited situations when a face shield by itself is appropriate, like talking to someone who is Deaf or hard of hearing and needs to read lips to communicate).
- We will be operating remotely for summer and fall terms. This means that instruction and services will continue to be offered remotely
- The college has developed comprehensive health and safety protocols to allow for limited face-to-face classes, labs, and services for the fall. All campus environments, practices will prioritize health and safety for all. For more information view the COVID-19 Health and Safety Operational Plan
- For students attending face-to-face labs during Fall Term, please review this COVID-19 Student Health & Safety Training
As you know, the Coronavirus situation is rapidly changing. It is critical to check your email regularly, because the college will send important information throughout to ensure that you can be successful.
While you may be feeling alone and isolated as a result of recommendations to limit social gatherings, Chemeketa's Counseling Services are just one call or email away to ensure you don't lose momentum on your academic and career journey.
We appreciate your patience and understanding during these extraordinary times. We will continue to provide updates as we have more information. Additional information will be shared through your Chemeketa email, social media, and this webpage.
What precautionary action is Chemeketa taking?
- View the college's COVID-19 Health and Safety Operational Plan
- For Fall Term, the college’s Phased Reopening for Chemeketa Task Team has assessed over 100 potential face-to-face labs, activities and events to ensure they meet our COVID-19 Health and Safety criteria of access, spacing, PPE and cleaning and disinfection. We do not compromise the health and safety of our students and staff
- Access to campus: We require that all students and staff conduct a health assessment before coming to class using the CDC’s COVID-19 symptoms: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html. Stay home if ill. Notify your instructor
- Access to your face-to-face lab: While the rest of campus in buildings are not open, you will have access to your lab from an exterior entrance along with the nearest restroom
- Spacing: Our labs have been inspected and measured to ensure that each student has at least 35-square feet of space and that each student has at least 6-feet of distance between themselves and other students and staff
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): We wear face coverings, masks and shields while on campus. We wear them indoors and outdoors. The vast majority of the research proves that covering your mouth, eyes and nose from the virus droplets protects you and others. You can wear your own; rest assured Chemeketa will have surgical grade face masks on hand if you forget your mask. Mask up!
- Cleaning and disinfection: At the end of each lab, we clean and disinfect the flat surfaces, keyboards, equipment and high-touch areas
- Ongoing communication of information is being provided through all-student and all-staff emails; in addition, updated signage will be placed around campus locations
- Hand sanitizer has been ordered for placement in College areas with high public interaction (reception areas, help desks, etc.) and other areas as needed
- College custodial crew has implemented an enhanced cleaning protocol, focusing on high-use areas. In the evening the crew cleans all labs and classrooms that conducted learning that day. Each night, they clean an area equivalent to a neighborhood
We encourage students and staff to sign up for Chemeketa’s emergency alerts. Important and timely information is provided through text messaging, voicemail, and email. Sign up for emergency alerts at go.chemeketa.edu/alerts
Messages will also be communicated through digital signage, social media, website, building alarms, public address systems, and media releases.
Frequently Asked Questions
These FAQs are sourced from the CDC and World Health Organization.
Responding to Misinformation, Bias or Stigma
In times of fear and uncertainty there is often misinformation shared as a result of bias and, at times, discrimination. The coronavirus is a global concern that can make anyone sick, regardless of their race or ethnicity. Please see the Chemeketa Community College Diversity Statement.
Chemeketa is committed to providing a safe and inclusive environment for all who study, work, or visit at any of our locations. Please review the CDC’s page on reducing stigma related to COVID-19 for additional information.