Chemeketa creates a clear path for students who want to earn a four-year degree in education.
topics Service Professions
Skills & InterestHelping People
Why choose Education?
Educators play an important role throughout our lives. There is a high demand for quality math and science teachers as well as bilingual educators throughout the United States, so a career in education could take you anywhere.
Through a combination of select education courses, practicum experience and general education classes, students will experience a career in teaching from the very beginning and be prepared to successfully transfer to a university to complete their bachelor's degree.
- Complete the first two years of your degree
- Unique opportunity to use bilingual skills in an education career
- Classes offered in Salem and Woodburn
What will you learn?
Held in Salem and Woodburn, Chemeketa’s education classes will help you learn the foundations of teaching –
- Introduction to education
- Classroom practicum
- Foundations of the American education system
- Math and science instructional strategy
- Classroom management
- Student learning and development
- Children's literature and literacy development
- Technology in education
- Culturalry responsive pedagogy
- Teaching bilingual and English languages
- Inclusion: Special needs students
What will you do?
The leadership, communication, public speaking and teaching skills you learn in education courses can open doors to many professions –
- Social worker and counselor
- Business trainer and management
- Elementary, middle and high school teacher
- College professor, advisor and student life staff
CURRENT EDUCATION COURSES
Summer 2022 Education Courses Course CRN Days Times Location Instructor ED216 18425 Tues 4:00-7:50 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED229 17872 Wed 4:00-7:50 PM Remote - Zoom Sara Csaky Fall 2022 Education Courses Course CRN Days Times Location Instructor ED216 43590 Thurs 9:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED216 43676 Sat 9:00-10:30 AM Remote - Zoom TBA ED216 43591 Tues 9:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED216 43592 Tues 6:30-9:30 PM Remote - Zoom Sara Csaky ED229 33918 Wed 6:30-9:20 PM Remote - Zoom Sara Csaky ED230 40870 Thur 6:30-9:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED240
43579 - Lec
40872 - Lab
Remote - Zoom
ED265 41807 Mon 6:00-8:50 PM Remote - Zoom Joseph James ED265 41829 Mon 6:00-8:50 PM Salem Campus Joseph James LING210 42587 Mon/Wed 12:30-2:20 PM Salem Campus Ed Lazzara LING210 42581 OL Online Chemeketa Online Yolanda Valdez MTH211 30299 Mon/Wed 4:00-5:50 PM Salem Campus Garth Fleming MTH211 43738 Tues/Thurs 5:00-6:50 PM Remote - Zoom Warren Trotter MTH211 41952 Tues/Thurs 2:00-3:50 PM Remote - Zoom Garth Fleming MTH211 43108 Tues/Thurs 5:00-6:50 PM Woodburn Center Warren Trotter MTH213 39643 Mon/Wed 10:30 AM-12:20 PM Remote - Zoom Anthony Wagner Course CRN Days Times Location Instructor Winter 2023 Education Courses ED216 64438 TBA TBA Remote - Zoom TBA ED216 64317 Tues 9:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED216 64319 Tues 6:30-9:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED216 64482 TBA TBA Woodburn Center TBA ED216 64341 Wed 6:30-9:20 PM Remote - Zoom Cecelia Monto ED229 56195 Thurs 9:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED229 53121 Thurs 6:30-9:20 PM Remote - Zoom Sara Csaky ED240
63652 - Lec
61134 - Lab
Helen Richardson ED258 61132 Wed 6:30-920 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED265 64549 Mon 6:30-9:20 PM Salem Campus Joseph James LING210 62091 OL Online Chemeketa Online Paris Myers LING210 63059 Tues/Thurs 12:30-2:20 PM Remote - Zoom Paris Myers MTH211 53416 Mon/Wed 10:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus TBA MTH211 63714 Tues/Thurs 4:00-5:50 PM Woodburn Center TBA MTH211 64571 Tues/Thurs 4:00-5:50 PM Remote - Zoom TBA MTH212 50969 Mon/Wed 4:00-5:50 PM Salem Campus TBA MTH212 64397 Tues/Thurs 5:00-6:50 PM Woodburn Center TBA MTH212 64398 Tues/Thurs 5:00-6:50 PM Remote - Zoom TBA Course CRN Days Times Location Instructor Spring 2023 Education Courses ED216 82333 Sat 9:00-11:50 AM Salem Campus TBA ED216 82332 Tues 9:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED229 73415 Tues 6:30-9:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED230 81453 Thurs 3:30-6:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED233 80072 Wed 6:30-9:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED240
79660 - Lec
79662 - Lab
Helen Richardson ED258 79900 Thurs 6:30-9:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED265 80074 Mon 6:30-9:20 PM Salem Campus Joseph James LING210 80524 Mon/Wed 12:30-2:20 PM Salem Campus Ed Lazzara LING210 81027 TBA TBA Chemeketa Online Paris Myers MTH212 74727 Mon/Wed 10:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus TBD MTH212 82479 Tues/Thurs 4:00-6:00 PM Remote - Zoom TBD MTH212 81891 Tues/Thurs 4:00-6:00 PM Woodburn Center TBD MTH213 80982 Mon/Wed 4:00-5:50 PM Salem Campus TBD MTH213 82338 Tues/Thurs 5:00-6:50 PM Woodburn Center TBD MTH213 82376 Tues/Thurs 5:00-6:50 PM Remote - Zoom TBD
For the most up-to-date course listings, go to Class Search.
TIPS FOR SUCCEEDING IN THIS PROGRAM
While in High School
- Be college-ready
- Take math and English during senior year
- Get any other college credits you can (AP courses, IB courses, College Credit Now)
- Keep your grades up - a 3.5 GPA or higher qualifies students to apply to become a Chemeketa Scholar
Apply to Chemeketa
- Follow the steps to apply
- Work with one of the Education advisors and Sara Csaky, Education Instructor, to begin work on your educational plan
While at Chemeketa
- Check in with advisor to ensure you continue to be enrolled in the correct classes for transfer
- Take the practicum class to help you determine your preference in teaching elementary, middle or high school students
Earn Your Bachelor's Degree
- Research and/or visit potential universities you would like to transfer to
- Attend college fairs and/or university presentations held on campus
- Complete all necessary enrollment and financial aid applications
- Take all necessary education courses
- Study for any necessary licensure exams
TRANSFER UNIVERSITY INFORMATION VIDEOS
Corban University: Click here for video
George Fox University: Click here for video
Eastern Oregon University: Click here for video
Pacific University: Click here for video
Linfield College: Click here for video
EDUCATION TRANSFER DEGREE ADVISING GUIDES
When you complete Chemeketa’s specially-designed two-year transfer degree, you qualify to enter as a junior at most four-year Oregon universities.
Transfer requirements vary between each university, so let Chemeketa’s Education advisors and instructors help you navigate the process and achieve your goals.
Transfer guides –
- Corban University
- Eastern Oregon University
- George Fox University
- Pacific University
- Linfield University
- Linfield University Admission Information
- Linfield University Education Course List
- Western Oregon University - Elementary Education
- Western Oregon University - Secondary and K-12 Education
- Western Oregon University - Bilingual Teacher Scholars, Diverse Teacher Scholars and ESOL Endorsement
To teach in Oregon's K-12 school system, you must be licensed and must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree. For specific information on teacher credentials, visit the Teachers Standards and Practices Commission.
Oregon Teacher Scholars Program (OTSP)
Become a teacher
- Must be enrolled in an Oregon approved preliminary licensure program.
- Must be racially or linguistically diverse.
- Attend conferences/events.
- Connect with other scholars.
- Build resume skills.
- Network with potential future employers.
- $5,000 scholarship
Apply at OTSP between November 1st & March 1st
FREE EDUCATION CLASS FOR EDUCATION MAJORS
Future teachers are invited to apply for one free class in fall term through the Community College Teacher Pathway Tuition Grant, funded by the Oregon Department of Education.
The tuition grant will cover tuition and fees for one ED class in the fall term of 2022. Apply online using this Grant Application.
STEM TEACHING NSF NOYCE SCHOLARSHIPS
Chemeketa has partnered with Pacific University and the National Science Foundation Noyce Program to support students seeking teaching careers in science, technology, engineering or math (STEM). The Pacific Chemeketa Noyce Inspires (PCNI) program creates a five-year pathway with financial and academic supports to ensure student success in becoming a STEM teacher. Graduates are in high demand and earn an average of $50,000 a year in the first year of STEM teaching-
- Year 1 - Enroll in Chemeketa and apply to become an PCNI STEM Teaching Explorer. You will receive a $500 scholarship, a free ED240 STEM Teaching Practicum class, and quarterly advising meetings.
- Year 2 - Complete your AAOT at Chemeketa as an PCNI STEM Teaching Intern. You will receive up to a $2,000 scholarship, participate in quarterly advising meetings and have a summer teaching internship position.
- Year 3 - Transfer to Pacific University (Forest Grove) as a NSF PSiMS Scholar to continue work on your bachelor’s degree in a STEM field and receive a $5,900 scholarship and academic advising.
- Year 4 - Complete your bachelor's degree as a NSF Noyce Scholar at Pacific University (Forest Grove) in a STEM field and receive a $10,000 scholarship.
- Year 5 - Attend Pacific University Woodburn Campus as a NSF Noyce Scholar to complete a Master of Arts in Teaching STEM and receive a $15,000 scholarship.
Use this link to apply for this fantastic opportunity: STEM Application
Contact Vania Fenner, STEM Teaching Navigator at 503.399.5236 or email.
FREE FOUNDATIONS OF EDUCATION CLASS (ED216) - High School Students Only
Start your teaching degree with our free course, Foundations of Education, specifically for high school students. The class transfers to every university in Oregon and will help you chart your pathway into the teaching field.
SCHOOL DISTRICT EMPLOYEE TUITION SUPPORT
School district employees are invited to apply for the tuition grant, funded by the Oregon Department of Education. The tuition grant will cover up to two classes in the ED MTM pathway.
Apply here: Application
CONTACT AN ADVISOR
Transfer requirements vary between each university, so let Chemeketa's education advisors and instructors help you navigate the process to achieve your goals.Juan Carlos Deloya – Advisor, Salem CampusCathy Martell-Straight – Advisor, Salem CampusNoemi Legaspi-Valverde - Pacific University Woodburn Community Networkernlegaspi@pacificu.eduDavid Beasely, email@example.com - Western Oregon UniversitySchedule an appointment - Click hereAdvising website - Click here