Chemeketa creates a clear path for students who want to earn a four-year degree in education.
topics Service Professions
Skills & InterestHelping People
Why choose program or class?
Educators play an important role throughout our lives. There is a high demand for quality math and science teachers as well as bilingual educators throughout the United States, so a career in education could take you anywhere.
Through a combination of select education courses, practicum experience and general education classes, students will experience a career in teaching from the very beginning and be prepared to successfully transfer to a university to complete their bachelor's degree.
- Complete the first two years of your degree
- Unique opportunity to use bilingual skills in an education career
- Classes offered in Salem and Woodburn
What will you learn?
Held in Salem and Woodburn, Chemeketa’s education classes will help you learn the foundations of teaching –
- Introduction to education
- Classroom practicum
- Foundations of the American education system
- Math and science instructional strategy
- Classroom management
- Student learning and development
- Children's literature
- Technology in education
- Teaching English as foreign language
- Multicultural education
- Teaching bilingual and English languages
- Inclusion: Special needs students
- Working with students with autism
What will you do?
The leadership, communication, public speaking and teaching skills you learn in education courses can open doors to many professions –
- Social worker and counselor
- Business trainer and management
- Elementary, middle and high school teacher
- College professor, advisor and student life staff
Current Education Courses
Summer 2018 Education Courses Course CRN Days Times Location Instructor ED200 16991 Tues 9:30 AM-1:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED230 16995 Thurs 9:30 AM-1:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky Fall 2018 Education Courses Course CRN Days Times Location Instructor ED200 40435 Thurs 2:30-4:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED200 33917 Tues 9:30 AM-12:20 PM Woodburn Center Sara Csaky ED200 35070 Tues 5-7:50 PM Salem Campus Cecelia Monto ED200 40396 Thurs 9:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED229 33918 Wed 2:30-5:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED235 37132 Online Online Online Collin Stapp
Sara Csaky ED265 41829 Mon 6-8:50 PM Salem Campus Joseph James MTH211 30299 Mon/Wed 4-5:50 PM Salem Campus Garth Fleming MTH211 40329 Tues/Thurs 4:30-6:20 PM Woodburn Center Warren Trotter MTH211 41952 Tues/Thurs 4-5:50 PM Salem Campus Garth Fleming MTH213 39643 Mon/Wed 10:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus Toby Wagner Winter 2019 Education Courses Course CRN Days Times Location Instructor ED200 61097 Thurs 9:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED200 58728 Wed 5-7:50 PM Salem Campus Cecelia Monto ED200 61381 Wed 2:30-5:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED229 61135 Tues 9:30 AM-12:20 PM Woodburn Center Sara Csaky ED230 61549 Tues 6:30-9:20 PM Woodburn Center Sara Csaky ED233 62427 Thurs 2:30-5:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED235 57905 Sat 9:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus Colin Stapp
MTH211 53416 Mon/Wed 10:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus TBA MTH212 50969 Mon/Wed 4-5:50 PM Salem Campus TBA MTH212 62463 Tues/Thurs 4-5:50 PM Salem Campus TBA MTH212 61025 Tues/Thurs 4:30-6:20 PM Woodburn Center Warren Trotter Spring 2019 Education Courses Course CRN Days Times Location Instructor ED200 77836 Thurs 9:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED200 79231 Wed 2:30-5:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED229 73415 Thurs 1:30-4:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED230 80073 Tues 9:30 AM-12:20 PM Woodburn Center Sara Csaky ED233 80072 Wed 6-8:50 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED258 73417 Tues 6:30-9:20 PM Salem Campus TBA ED265 80074 Mon 6-8:50 PM Salem Campus Cindy Ryan LING210 80524 Tues/Thurs 8:30-9:20 AM Salem Camus Ed Lazzara LING210 81027 Mon/Wed 10:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus Ed Lazzara MTH211 81131 Tues/Thurs 6:30-8:20 PM Woodburn Center Warren Trotter MTH212 74727 Mon/Wed 10:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus TBA MTH213 80982 Mon/Wed 4-5:50 PM Salem Campus TBA MTH213 70413 Tues/Thurs 4-5:50 PM Salem Campus TBA MTH213 79579 Tues/Thurs 4:30-6:20 PM Woodburn Center Warren Trotter
For the most up-to-date course listings, go to Class Search.
Tips for Succeeding in This Program
While in High School
- Be college-ready
- Take math and English during senior year
- Get any other college credits you can (AP courses, IB courses, College Credit Now)
- Keep your grades up - a 3.5 GPA or higher qualifies students to apply to become a Chemeketa Scholar
Apply to Chemeketa
- Follow the steps to apply
- Work with one of the Education advisors and Sara Csaky, Education Instructor, to begin work on your educational plan
While at Chemeketa
- Check in with advisor to ensure you continue to be enrolled in the correct classes for transfer
- Take the practicum class to help you determine your preference in teaching elementary, middle or high school students
Earn Your Bachelor's Degree
- Research and/or visit potential universities you would like to transfer to
- Attend college fairs and/or university presentations held on campus
- Complete all necessary enrollment and financial aid applications
- Take all necessary education courses
- Study for any necessary licensure exams
EDUCATION TRANSFER DEGREE ADVISING GUIDES
When you complete Chemeketa’s specially-designed two-year transfer degree, you qualify to enter as a junior at most four-year Oregon universities.
Transfer requirements vary between each university, so let Chemeketa’s Education advisors and instructors help you navigate the process and achieve your goals.
Transfer guides –
- Corban University
- Eastern Oregon University
- George Fox University
- Pacific University
- Western Oregon University ASL
- Western Oregon University Teacher Prep Transfer Guide
To teach in Oregon's K-12 school system, you must be licensed and must have a minimum of a bachelor’s. For specific information on teacher credentials, visit the Teachers Standards and Practices Commission.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT FOR EDUCATORS
Chemeketa courses are offered to serve professional development needs of educators living in the area. Gain skills in the teaching field by taking classes, such as –
- Technology for Educators
- Spanish for Educators
- Multicultural Education
- Education based study abroad in Oaxaca (during spring break)
Contact a Counselor
Transfer requirements vary between each university, so let Chemeketa's education advisors and instructors help you navigate the process to achieve your goals.Juan Carlos Deloya – Counselor, Salem CampusFrancisca Sandoval-Juarez – Counselor, Woodburn Center
(se habla espanol)Mike Zunin – Counselor, Salem Campus
Friday, September 21, 11:45 am-12:30 pm, Bldg. 8 Rm. 206
Create your academic plan to become a teacher. Meet instructors and advisers and learn about a path to transfer and complete a 4-year degree.
Opportunities in Education
Thursday, October 25, 4:30-6:30 pm, Bldg. 8 Rm. 101
Get information on scholarships, application deadlines, Bilingual Pathway options and other opportunities.
For more information, call the Education, Languages & Social Sciences department at 503.399.6564.