Chemeketa creates a clear path for students who want to earn a four-year degree in education.
topics Service Professions
Skills & InterestHelping People
Why choose Education?
Educators play an important role throughout our lives. There is a high demand for quality math and science teachers as well as bilingual educators throughout the United States, so a career in education could take you anywhere.
Through a combination of select education courses, practicum experience and general education classes, students will experience a career in teaching from the very beginning and be prepared to successfully transfer to a university to complete their bachelor's degree.
- Complete the first two years of your degree
- Unique opportunity to use bilingual skills in an education career
- Classes offered in Salem and Woodburn
What will you learn?
Held in Salem and Woodburn, Chemeketa’s education classes will help you learn the foundations of teaching –
- Introduction to education
- Classroom practicum
- Foundations of the American education system
- Math and science instructional strategy
- Classroom management
- Student learning and development
- Children's literature
- Technology in education
- Teaching English as foreign language
- Multicultural education
- Teaching bilingual and English languages
- Inclusion: Special needs students
- Working with students with autism
What will you do?
The leadership, communication, public speaking and teaching skills you learn in education courses can open doors to many professions –
- Social worker and counselor
- Business trainer and management
- Elementary, middle and high school teacher
- College professor, advisor and student life staff
CURRENT EDUCATION COURSES
Summer 2020 Education Courses Course CRN Days Times Location Instructor ED200 16991 Tues 9:30 AM-1:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED229 17872 Tues 5:00-8:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED235 17683 OL Online Chemeketa Online Colin Stapp MTH212 18136 MW 6:00-7:50 PM Woodburn Center Warren Trotter MTH212 18238 MW 6:00-7:50 PM Polk Center Warren Trotter Fall 2020 Education Courses Course CRN Days Times Location Instructor ED200 35070 OL Online Chemeketa Online Cecelia Monto ED200 33917 Tues 9:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED200 40435 Thurs 2:30-5:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED200 40396 Thurs 6:00-8:50 PM Woodburn Center Sara Csaky ED258 32875 Wed 6:00-8:50 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED265 41829 Mon 6:00-8:50 PM Salem Campus Joseph James LING210 42581 Tues/Thurs 6:00-7:50 PM Salem Campus Yolanda Valdez MTH211 30299 Mon/Wed 4:00-5:50 PM Salem Campus Garth Fleming MTH211 41952 Mon/Wed 6:00-7:50 PM Salem Campus Garth Fleming MTH213 39643 Mon/Wed 10:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus Toby Wagner Course CRN Days Times Location Instructor Winter 2021 Education Courses ED200 58728 Tues 6:30-9:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED200 61097 Tues 12:30-3:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED200 61381 Wed 1:00-3:50 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED229 53121 Wed 6:00-8:50 PM Woodburn Center Sara Csaky ED230 61549 Thurs 6:00-8:50 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky LING210 63059 Tues/Thurs 12:30-2:20 PM Salem Campus Ed Lazzara LING210 62091 OL Online Chemeketa Online Yolanda Valdez Jara MTH211 53416 Mon/Wed 10:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus Tobey Wagner MTH212 50969 Mon/Wed 4:00-5:50 PM Salem Campus Garth Fleming MTH212 62463 Tues/Thurs 4:00-5:50 PM Salem Campus Garth Fleming Course CRN Days Times Location Instructor Spring 2021 Education Courses ED200 79231 Wed 1:00-3:50 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED200 77836 Thurs 12:30-3:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED229 73415 Tues 10:30 AM-1:20 PM Woodburn Center Sara Csaky ED230 81453 Wed 6:00-8:50 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED233 80072 Thurs 6:00-9:20 PM Salem Campus Sara Csaky ED235 80973 OL Online Chemeketa Online Collin Stapp ED240*
11:30 AM-2:20 PM
Kevin Carr ED258 73417 Tues/Thurs 8:30-9:50 AM Woodburn Center Sara Csaky ED265 80074 Mon 6:00-8:50 PM Salem Campus Joseph James LING210 81027 OL Online Chemeketa Online Ed Lazzara LING210 80524 Tues/Thurs 6:00-7:50 PM Salem Campus Yolanda Valdez MTH212 74727 Mon/Wed 10:30 AM-12:20 PM Salem Campus TBD MTH213 80982 Mon/Wed 4:00-5:50 PM Salem Campus TBD MTH213 70413 Tues/Thurs 4:00-5:50 PM Salem Campus TBD
*Only for Future STEM Teachers
For the most up-to-date course listings, go to Class Search.
TIPS FOR SUCCEEDING IN THIS PROGRAM
While in High School
- Be college-ready
- Take math and English during senior year
- Get any other college credits you can (AP courses, IB courses, College Credit Now)
- Keep your grades up - a 3.5 GPA or higher qualifies students to apply to become a Chemeketa Scholar
Apply to Chemeketa
- Follow the steps to apply
- Work with one of the Education advisors and Sara Csaky, Education Instructor, to begin work on your educational plan
While at Chemeketa
- Check in with advisor to ensure you continue to be enrolled in the correct classes for transfer
- Take the practicum class to help you determine your preference in teaching elementary, middle or high school students
Earn Your Bachelor's Degree
- Research and/or visit potential universities you would like to transfer to
- Attend college fairs and/or university presentations held on campus
- Complete all necessary enrollment and financial aid applications
- Take all necessary education courses
- Study for any necessary licensure exams
- TRANSFER UNIVERSITY INFORMATION VIDEOS
EDUCATION TRANSFER DEGREE ADVISING GUIDES
When you complete Chemeketa’s specially-designed two-year transfer degree, you qualify to enter as a junior at most four-year Oregon universities.
Transfer requirements vary between each university, so let Chemeketa’s Education advisors and instructors help you navigate the process and achieve your goals.
Transfer guides –
- Corban University
- Eastern Oregon University
- George Fox University
- Pacific University
- Western Oregon University ASL
- Western Oregon University - BS in Education: Early Childhood/Elementary 2019-20
- Western Oregon University - Education Elem/Middle Language Arts 2019-20
- Western Oregon University - Education Elem/Middle Math 2019-20
- Western Oregon University - Education Elem/Middle Science 2019-20
- Western Oregon University - Education Elem/Middle Social Science 2019-20
To teach in Oregon's K-12 school system, you must be licensed and must have a minimum of a bachelor’s. For specific information on teacher credentials, visit the Teachers Standards and Practices Commission.
Oregon Teacher Scholars Program (OTSP)
Become a teacher
- Must be enrolled in an Oregon approved preliminary licensure program.
- Must be racially or linguistically diverse.
- Attend conferences/events.
- Connect with other scholars.
- Build resume skills.
- Network with potential future employers.
- $5,000 scholarship
Apply at OTSP between November 1st & March 1st
COMMUNITY COLLEGE TEACHER PATHWAY TUITION GRANT
Future teachers are invited to apply for the Community College Teacher Pathway Tuition Grant, funded by the Oregon Department of Education.
The tuition grant will cover tuition and fees for one ED class in the winter or spring terms of 2021. Apply online using this Grant Application.
STEM TEACHING NSF NOYCE SCHOLARSHIPS
Chemeketa has partnered with Pacific University and the National Science Foundation Noyce Program to support students seeking teaching careers in science, technology, engineering or math (STEM). The Pacific Chemeketa Noyce Inspires (PCNI) program creates a five-year pathway with financial and academic supports to ensure student success in becoming a STEM teacher. Graduates are in high demand and earn an average of $50,000 a year in the first year of STEM teaching-
- Year 1 - Enroll in Chemeketa and apply to become an PCNI STEM Teaching Explorer. You will receive a $500 scholarship, a free ED240 STEM Teaching Practicum class, and quarterly advising meetings.
- Year 2 - Complete your AAOT at Chemeketa as an PCNI STEM Teaching Intern. You will receive up to a $2,000 scholarship, participate in quarterly advising meetings and have a summer teaching internship position.
- Year 3 - Transfer to Pacific University (Forest Grove) as a NSF PSiMS Scholar to continue work on your bachelor’s degree in a STEM field and receive a $5,900 scholarship and academic advising.
- Year 4 - Complete your bachelor's degree as a NSF Noyce Scholar at Pacific University (Forest Grove) in a STEM field and receive a $10,000 scholarship.
- Year 5 - Attend Pacific University Woodburn Campus as a NSF Noyce Scholar to complete a Master of Arts in Teaching STEM and receive a $15,000 scholarship.
Use this link to apply for this fantastic opportunity: STEM Application
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT FOR EDUCATORS
Chemeketa courses are offered to serve professional development needs of educators living in the area. Gain skills in the teaching field by taking classes, such as –
- Technology for Educators
- Spanish for Educators
- Multicultural Education
- Education based study abroad in Oaxaca (during spring break)
CONTACT AN ADVISOR
Transfer requirements vary between each university, so let Chemeketa's education advisors and instructors help you navigate the process to achieve your goals.Juan Carlos Deloya – Advisor, Salem CampusFrancisca Sandoval-Juarez – Advisor, Woodburn Center
(se habla espanol)Cathy Martell-Straight – Advisor, Salem CampusNoemi Legaspi-Valverde - Pacific University Woodburn Community Networkernlegaspi@pacificu.eduDarlene Fritz - Western Oregon UniversitySchedule an appointment - Click hereAdvising website - Click here