From Shakespeare to Comic Books as Literature, Chemeketa offers a variety of English courses to help you develop your reading, writing and critical thinking skills and prepare you to transfer to a four-year college.
Skills & InterestCreativity
CareersArt & Communications
Why choose English?
Chemeketa's English program will train you in the skills that are critical in all professions and that employers value most: problem solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and empathy. You will hone your writing, learn to read insightfully and deeply, and research thoroughly and effectively. You will also stretch creatively, engaging with ideas, cultures, and genres from around the world and throughout history.
What will you learn?
Whether you choose to pursue English as a major, take classes to fulfill arts & letters requirements, or simply want to explore, English classes offer a range of cultural knowledge and practical skills. You will:
- Engage with a wide range of literary genres (like poetry, fiction and non-fiction, drama, science fiction, mythology, environmental literature, and graphic novels),
- Consider the perspectives of many cultures and voices (through classes in World literature, British literature, American literature, women writers, minority writers, and canonical authors like Shakespeare)
- Explore the connections between the past and today (reading both historical and contemporary works),
- Develop close reading and careful analytical skills
- Improve writing and communication skills
- Practice careful scholarly and practical research, engaging with larger conversations about literature, culture, and the world around us
What will you do?
English majors excel in a wide variety of professional and creative fields, including (but not limited to):
- Social work