Basic Nurse Assistant
Start your health service career.
About the Basic Nurse Assistant Program
This 155-hour training course is approved by the Oregon State Board of Nursing (OSBN). It consists of 80 hours on-campus classroom and lab and 75 hours of clinical in a long-term care facility. Successful completion qualifies individuals to take the Nurse Assistant Competency Evaluation test for state certification as a Nursing Assistant.
The Basic Nurse Assistant course is a non-credit course offered each fall, winter, spring and summer term on Chemeketa's Salem and Yamhill Valley campuses.
The Salem Campus class is offered –
Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 4 pm-9:30 pm; Clinical will be the same days; however, there are two times to choose from 6 am-12:30 pm or 2 pm-8:30 pm.
The Yamhill Valley Campus class is offered –
Monday-Friday, 8 am-12 pm
SALEM CAMPUS APPLICATION
- Download and complete the Salem Campus BNA Application for summer, fall, winter and spring term
- Please see table below for application submission dates.
- Submit your completed application packet to –
Health Sciences Department
Salem Bldg. 8, Rm. 114
Between 8 am-5 pm
Salem Campus Deadlines for 2018-19 Basic Nursing Assistant Application
Application Deadline - or until full
Deadline to submit required immunizations
Summer 2018 - SUMMER TERM IS FULL.
June 11, 2018
June 25, 2018
Fall 2018 - Accepting Applications now
September 10, 2018
September 24, 2018
December 17, 2018
January 7, 2019
March 18, 2019
April 1, 2019
*Winter term – Only 10 students will be accepted with one clinical offering.
YAMHILL VALLEY APPLICATION
Yamhill Valley Campus
- Download and complete the YVC Nursing Assistant Application 2018-19 for summer, fall, winter and spring terms (UPDATE- The fall term class is full, but we are still accepting applications for the alternate list)
- Please see table below for application submission dates
- Submit your completed application packet to –
Yamhill Valley Campus Bldg. 2, Rm. 100
Between 8 am-8 pm (Doors unlock at 7:30 am)
Application Deadlines Term Acceptance Start Date Acceptance End Date* Summer 2018 May 1, 2018 June 15, 2018 Fall 2018 August 7, 2018 September 21, 2018 Winter 2019 December 4, 2018 January 4, 2019 Spring 2019 February 26, 2019 March 23, 2019
*Or until the program is full.
Applications accepted on a first come-first served basis. Only eight students will be offered a spot in each class per term. Doors unlock at 7:30 am on application acceptance days.
If you have questions, please email Renae Burger.
Criminal Background Check Requirements
Upon entry into the program, you will be required to pass a criminal background check.
Failure to complete the background check or a background check revealing a disqualifying criminal history will mean you are ineligible to participate in the BNA course.
Disqualifying crimes can be found in the Oregon Department of Human Services Aging & People with Disabilities and Developmental Disabilities ORS 443.004/OAR 407-007-0275 Crimes list. For more information and more in-depth list, please call our office at 503.399.5058.
For licensure with the Oregon State Board of Nursing, please visit the following links for DHS and OSBN's criminal history requirements.
- Oregon Department of Human Services criminal history requirements and policies, located in Division 7
- Oregon Board of Nursing’s criminal history requirements and policies, found in Division 1 of the Nurse Practice Act
CNA 2 Program Chemeketa Yamhill in Partnership with Willamette Valley Medical Center
Unsure of when the class will be offered again. Once that information is known, it will be posted here, so please keep checking back. You can also email Renae Burger (firstname.lastname@example.org) to have your contact information added to an email interest list.
- Valid CNA license (printed off from OSBN)
- CPR Certification - American Heart Association BLS Provider
- Certain Immunizations
- Cost: $350
- Must pass a background check and drug test
Total cost for the BNA program in Salem is $1,412 and in Yamhill it is $400. Costs are subject to change. They include –
- Tuition and fees
- Scrubs for clinical, stethoscope, gait belt, etc.
Non-credit courses are not eligible for financial aid
Students will be required to pay for –
- A background check – approx. $45
- Required drug testing – approx. $45
- Immunizations – cost varies
- CPR training – cost varies
- Parking pass – approx. $25
After course completion, you will be responsible for testing fees for the Oregon State Board of Nursing (OSBN) include –
- Application to test – $106
- Fingerprinting – $64.50
- Chemeketa student identification number and Chemeketa email address
- Successful completion of RD 080 and RD085 or RD090 with a C or higher or placement into RD115 via Chemeketa's placement test or proof of completing an Associate Degree or equivalent credits or higher
- Successful completion of CPR Certification - American Heart Association "BLS Provider Level"
- Attendance at mandatory orientation, passing the criminal background check and required drug screen, and completing required immunizations
- Mandatory orientation for applicants accepted into the class
- Commitment to being at every class session and clinical session
- Reliable transportation
Instructions on how to complete background check and drug screen will be given to accepted applicants only.
For more information call the Health Sciences Dept at 503.399.5058.