Basic Nurse Assistant
Start your health service career.
About the Basic Nurse Assistant Program
This 155-hour training course is approved by the Oregon State Board of Nursing (OSBN). It consists of 80 hours on-campus classroom and lab and 75 hours of clinical in a long-term care facility. Successful completion qualifies individuals to take the Nurse Assistant Competency Evaluation test for state certification as a Nursing Assistant.
The Basic Nurse Assistant course is a non-credit course offered each fall, winter, spring and summer term on Chemeketa's Salem and Yamhill Valley campuses.
The Salem Campus class is offered –
Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 4 pm-9:30 pm; Clinical will be the same days; however, there are two times to choose from 6 am-12:30 pm or 2 pm-8:30 pm.
The Yamhill Valley Campus class is offered –
Monday-Friday, 10:30am-2:30pm for classroom and 10:30-3:30 for clinical.
SALEM CAMPUS APPLICATION
Our next offering of the Salem campus will be Summer 2020. Please check back early June for the new academic application.
- Download and complete the Salem Campus BNA Application for summer, fall, winter and spring term
- Please see table below for application submission dates.
- Submit your completed application packet to –
Health Sciences Department
Salem Bldg. 8, Rm. 104
Between 8 am-4:30 pm
Salem Campus Deadlines for 2019-2020 Basic Nursing Assistant Application
Application Deadline - or until full
Deadline to submit required immunizations
Summer 2019 - Full
June 10, 2019
June 24, 2019
Fall 2019 - Will start accepting applications June 24th.
Septmember 9, 2019
September 15, 2019
December 16, 2019
January 6, 2020
Spring 2019 - Not accepting applications
March 18, 2019
April 1, 2019
YAMHILL VALLEY APPLICATION
Yamhill Valley Campus
- UPDATE- Our Spring term class is full. We are still accepting applications for alternate positions at this time.
- Please download the 2019-20 application for the spring term class.
- The 2020-21 application and schedule(including summer term class) will be posted later this spring when it's finalized.
See table below for application submission dates-we will NOT accept applications earlier than the posted date for that term.
- Submit your completed application packet to –
Yamhill Valley Campus Bldg.1 or Bldg 2 staff
Between 7:30am-8 pm Mon-Thurs and 7:30am-1pm on Fri.
Application Deadlines Term Acceptance Start Date Acceptance End Date* Spring 2020 March 10, 2020 Until full, or March 31 2020
Applications are accepted on a first come-first served basis. Only eight students will be offered a spot in each class per term. Doors unlock at 7:30 am on application acceptance days.
If you have questions, please email Yamhill Valley Campus Career Tech Ed Programs.
Criminal Background Check Requirements
Upon entry into the program, you will be required to pass a criminal background check.
Failure to complete the background check or a background check revealing a disqualifying criminal history will mean you are ineligible to participate in the BNA course.
Disqualifying crimes can be found in the Oregon Department of Human Services Aging & People with Disabilities and Developmental Disabilities ORS 443.004/OAR 407.007.0275 Crimes list. For more information and more in-depth list, click here.
For licensure with the Oregon State Board of Nursing, please visit the following links for DHS and OSBN's criminal history requirements.
- Oregon Department of Human Services criminal history requirements and policies, located in Division 7
- Oregon Board of Nursing’s criminal history requirements and policies, found in Division 1 of the Nurse Practice Act
We are unsure of when the next CNA 2 will run, please keep checking back for updates.
- Valid CNA license (printed off from OSBN website)
- CPR certification - American Heart Association BLS Provider
- Certain Immunizations
- Must pass a background check and drug test.
Applications are accepted on a first come-first served basis. Only eight students will be offered a spot.
Total cost for the BNA program at both the Salem and Yamhill Valley campuses is $1,412. Costs are subject to change. They include –
- Tuition and fees
- Scrubs for clinical, stethoscope, gait belt, etc.
Non-credit courses are not eligible for financial aid
Some of our offerings are offered at a lower cost because they are grant funded.
Students will be required to pay for –
- A background check – approx. $45
- Required drug testing – approx. $45
- Immunizations – cost varies
- CPR training – cost varies
- Parking pass – approx. $25
After course completion, you will be responsible for testing fees for the Oregon State Board of Nursing (OSBN) include –
- Application to test – $106
- Fingerprinting – $64.50
- Chemeketa student identification number and Chemeketa email address
- Successful completion of RD 080 and RD085 or RD090 with a C or higher or placement into RD115 via Chemeketa's placement test or proof of completing an Associate Degree or equivalent credits or higher
- Successful completion of CPR Certification - American Heart Association "BLS Provider Level"
- Attendance at mandatory orientation, passing the criminal background check and required drug screen, and completing required immunizations
- Mandatory orientation for applicants accepted into the class
- Commitment to being at every class session and clinical session
- Reliable transportation
Instructions on how to complete background check and drug screen will be given to accepted applicants only.
For more information call the Health Sciences Dept at 503.399.5058.