Celebrate the accomplishments of Chemeketa graduates at the Commencement Ceremony.
Join us for Car-mencement! Chemeketa will celebrate 2022 graduates with a drive-thru ceremony.
Celebrate your achievements with car-mencement! The college will hold a drive-thru commencement ceremony on the Salem campus that will honor the achievements of our GED, High Schools Partnerships, and High School Equivalency programs and our college degree and certificate earning students. Chemeketa also invites all class of 2020 and 2021 graduates to participate in this year's drive-thru ceremony!
Students will have the opportunity to:
- Receive their diploma cover
- Get a professoinal graduation photo taken
- Be congratulated by Chemeketa's President, Dr. Howard
- Celebrate with the Board of Education, faculty and staff
Dates: June 10, 2022
Ceremony: Friday, June 10 from 3 - 6pm
Students will drive-thru a designated parade route on the Salem campus that will end with a photo opportunity and receiving a diploma cover. Details about the route and day of the drive-thru ceremony will be available under the "Details for Commencement Day" accordion in the next few weeks.
Car-mencement Vehicle Limit
In order to ensure a smooth flow of traffic throug the route and keep all participants safe, only one car per graduate will be allowed in the event. Buses, RVs, trailers, and other types of large vehicles are not permitted. If you are driving yourself or are taking public transportation to campus, Chemeketa will have shuttles available to take you through the event route.
Chemeketa Community College - Salem Campus
How to Participate
APPLY TO GRADUATE – IMPORTANT DATES
Graduating is not automatic. You must apply to graduate.
TBD – Commencement registration opens in MyChemeketa
TBD - Cap and gown purchasing begins through Herff Jones
TBD - Deadline to submit an Application for Degree or Certificate form if you want your name to appear in the Commencement Ceremony program.
TBD – Last day to purchase cap and gown online through Herff Jones
TBD - Commencement day
Do to the higher than expected volume of participants, we have had to close registration a few days early. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Please contact email@example.com for how to receive your diploma cover.
To participate in the June 2022 commencement ceremony, students need to register by filling out the commencement registration form located on the Graduation page in MyChemeketa. (MyChemeketa - Services - Graduation - Commencement Form).
Students will need to know their student portal login information to register. To log into your student portal, go to https://login.chemeketa.edu and use your Chemeketa login information. If you haven't recently logged into Chemeketa systems, you may be required to change your password and provide answers to challenge questions. If you've forgotten your userman or password, you can retrieve it by clicking on the "Need help?" link on the top right section of the login box. If you experience any technical issues while signing in, please contact our IT Help Desk at 503.399.7899.
- Online registration for commencement has ended. Students must register for commencement in order to participate in the drive-thru ceremony. Students will not be able to register to participate after this deadline and will need to participate in the June 2023 ceremony.
- College certificate and degree seeking students will also need to submit an Application for Certificate or Degree form to the Graduation Services office in order to have final credits reviewed for graduation.
- Students who have completed or plan on completing final credits to meet program requirements from Summer 2021 through Summer 2022 are eligible to participate in this year's commencement ceremony.
- If you completed program requirements from Summer 2019 through Spring 2021, you are welcome to participate in this year's drive-thru ceremony.
CAPS & GOWNS (REGALIA)
Caps and gowns are optional! If you want to purchase a cap and gown, please visit Herff Jones. Any cap and gown purchased will be shipped directly to you! We will not hold any on campus grad fair events.
Order Online – April 1 - May 1
Purchase your cap and gown and academic regalia online through Herff Jones to be shipped directly to you.
Cost: $20.00 + $12.95 shipping
Dates: April 1 - May 1
Online purchasing will end May 1 at 8:59 pm.
If you purchased your gown online, we recommend you keep the confirmation email from Herff Jones until the cap and gown is received at the address you provided.
Graduates of one-year certificate and two-year degree programs wear black. Graduates of the High School Completion programs, HEP, and GED wear green.
*If you have questions about caps and gowns or potential refunds, please contact Herff Jones customer service.
There will be a limited stock of caps, gowns, and tassels at the drive-thru commencement event. If you would like reglaia, we highly encourage you to purchase online as we may not have your size available the day of the ceremony.
Day of Costs:
Cap, Gown and Tassel - $32.00
Cap - $12.00
Tassel - $10.00
No tickets needed this year! Only one car per graduate - no buses, RVs, trailers, or other large vehicles. Guests must fit into the car with the student.
DETAILS FOR COMMENCEMENT DAY
Come celebrate your achievements at the June 2022 "carmencement" ceremony! Friday, June 10, 2022 from 3-6pm. You must register to attend by Wednesday, June 8th.
Instructions & Map for Commencement Day
- Students must enter campus from the main entrance on the Salem campus off of Cooley Drive from Lancaster Drive. All other entrances to the college will be closed. Students should arrive at their registration time.
- First park in the Green lot by taking a right off of Cooley Drive onto South Campus Loop. Look for the check-in table to receive a card with your information-- this will be used at the diploma pick-up stop (stop #2). You will be directed to the parade route by a Chemeketa staff member.
- The parade route: students will exit the green lot (turn right) onto Cooley, drive north and take a right at the stop sign into the Blue Parking lot.
- Students will be directed to the diploma cover pick-up/photo stop-- Students' names will be read as they drive up to the pick-up spot. Students and their guests are to remain in the vehicle while in the Blue parking lot. President Howard will come to the car to hand students their diploma cover and a picture will be taken by GradImages (professional photographer).
- After the diploma cover/photo stop, students will need to drive down to North Campus Loop where they can enter the Teal parking lot for an optional additional photo stop with their guests and GradImages. Students and guests can park and exit their cards in the Teal and Yellow lots for photos.
Other Important Information:
- If you are taking public transportation or are walking to campus - Chemeketa will have vans and drivers available to drive you through the parade route. Please let us know at the check-in table if you would like a van to drive you through the parade route.
- If you are driving yourself to campus-- you are welcome to drive yourself along the parade route or we will have Chemeketa vans and drivers available to drive you through the route. Please let us know at the check-in table if you would like a van to drive you through the parade route.
- GradImages will be at the ceremony to take professional pictures of each graduate. At no cost and with no obligation, proofs will be emailed to you within 24 to 48 hours (if you provide your email address on the check-in card) or mailed to your home address in about 2 weeks. If you would like to purchase these photos, you can pre-register on the GradImages site.
- A limited quantity of caps, gowns, and tassels will be available the day of for purchase. We cannot guarantee that we will have your size available. Caps and gowns are optional for participating the ceremony.
- You will not receive your diploma at the "carmencement" ceremony, you will only receive the diploma cover. If you are a college degree or certificate seeking student and are awarded, your diploma will be sent in the mail. If you are a GED, HEP, or High School Partnership student, please check with your program for when you will receive a diploma or certificate.
Chemeketa's Alma Mater
During the most recent Chemeketa Foundation fundraising drive, President Jessica Howard promised that if we made our fundraising goal, she would sing Chemeketa's very difficult Alma Mater with our choir to commemorate the achievement, honor our donors, and congratulate the class of 2022. We did, in fact, meet our fundraising goal. President Howard made good on her promise and in this video, performed the piece with the Chemeketa Choir. Dr. Kerry Burtis conducts the choir.
The alma mater was conceptualized by President Emeritus Gretchen Schuette and Chemeketa’s Board of Education in October 2005. Board members identified the values they would like to have expressed in the alma mater and President Schuette created lyrics from those values. Thomas Bishop, an employee in the Chemeketa Online department and a talented composer and musician, arranged and set the words to music. The first public performance of the alma mater was at the 50th Commencement Ceremony on June 17, 2006. The alma mater was formally approved by the Chemeketa Board of Education on July 26, 2006, and the song was registered and copyrighted with the Library of Congress on January 19, 2007.