Chemeketa's Plumber Apprenticeship Program
Area II Plumbers JATC administers the Plumbing program and contracts with Chemeketa to provide courses in this registered apprenticeship program.
How to Apply
Area ll Plumbers JATC MA#2015 opens for applications August 25, 2021 and closes September 7, 2021. Applications and documentation must be received by 4 pm on September 7, 2021. See details below.
Classes are not open to the public--only limited to plumbing apprentices.
Fall 2021 Plumber Classes - Face-to-Face Hybrid
|Year||Course ID||Title||**CRNs||Meet on|
|1st||APR158A||Plumber Appr Fundamentals||34855/34856||Mon||Watkins Brandt|
|2nd||APR158D||Plumber Appr Basic Install||43043/43044||Tue||Staff|
|3rd||APR258G||Plumber Appr Residntl Install||34861/34862||Mon||Forbes|
|3rd||APR258G||Plumber Appr Residntl Install||43712/43713||Wed||Forbes|
|4th||APR258J||Plumber Appr Industrial Install||34865/34866||Mon/Tue||Duell|
**Fall classes are meeting face-to-face on the scheduled days and times and meeting remotely via Zoom or online for the other sessions. Fall classes begin September 27, 2021.
Fall 2021 Plumber Classes - Online Hybrid
|1st||APR158A||Plumber Appr Fundamentals||36928/36929||Forbes|
|2nd||APR158D||Plumber Appr Basic Install||34859/34860||Forbes|
|3rd||APR258G||Plumber Appr Residntl Install||36930/36931||Forbes|
|4th||APR258J||Plumber Appr Industrial Install||36932/36933||Forbes|
*You must have permission from the JATC to take classes online.
- Based on industry need
- Announced 30 days before applications are accepted at the Area II JATC office
Sign-up at the Area II Plumbing JATC's website to receive a notice for future openings and more information.
Successful applicants are ranked based on points they received with their application and sent to employers in rank order.
Women, Veterans and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Plumbing work is done indoors and outdoors:
- in newly constructed and existing buildings,
- in all kinds of weather,
- around noise, dirt and mud,
- often working in cramped areas and in awkward positions.
Plumbers assemble, install and repair according to specifications and plumbing codes.
- Medical gas systems
- Heating and water fixtures
- Water and drainage systems
- Water heaters
- Hot water tanks
- Garbage disposal units
How much can you earn?
How much can you earn?
Average journey-level wage for 2021 is $37.27 per hour.
Successful plumber apprentices qualify for state licensure and earn their journey-level card.
- Proof of age--18 years or older
- High school diploma or GED Certificate
- Math (one or more items below qualifies):
- High School transcript with one-year Algebra or equivalent with grade "C" or higher
- OR--one post high school algebra course with a grade "C" or higher
- OR--place into Math 060 or higher on the Chemeketa math placement test
Training & degrees
- This is a four-year program that combines 7,700 hours of on-the-job training with concurrent related-training credit courses.
- Apprentices earn 13 academic credits per year and attend classes in the fall, winter and spring.
- Classroom instruction is two evenings per week combined with on-the-job training to provide the most comprehensive course of study for an apprentice in the plumbing trade.
Additional training & degrees
Additional Training and Degrees Credits can be applied to a Certificate or AAS degree and can transfer to OIT for a BS degree.
Prepare while waiting
While waiting for an opening, you may compile a portfolio of documentation required for program entry.
- Diploma or GED certificate
- Transcripts from high school and college
- Placement test scores
- Work experience documented on letterhead with the tasks listed and years of service (construction related)
- Trades and safety certificates
- For Veterans, a copy of the DD224 long form
Suggested High School or College Classes
- Blueprint Reading
- Construction Classes
- Electrical Theory
- Residential Wiring
- Trade Skills Fundamentals
- Algebra I & II
- CPR/First Aid
Visit these websites
Visit the following websites for more information.